Video- Neewer NL 660 Bi-color LED Light Comparison (photographic lights)

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
In this video, I show the differences to a subject when using the white/Yellow LED's both at 100% and 0% and both at full 100%.

After I take the pic in the video, I show the actual picture I took (with no post production done to the pic). At the end of the video, i show 8 finished pictures from this photoshoot.

Thanks, that's great it's quiet! A few years back I had to give up on LED lights for performance videos due to fan noise and strange high frequency tones. They must run cooler now. I suspect if you max out both the warm and cool channels WB is probably around 4000K. I like to set WB manually so the camera doesn't warm up cool colors or cool down warm colors. It can really wander with just a background or clothing change. I'll look into those Neewer units. I saw a two light bundle on Amazon for $170.

I am not sure what your point is. All you need to do is make a custom white balance for whatever setting you choose, and they all will look good. The reason you would want to adjust your color on your light is if you were trying to match the ambient light in the room you are shooting in. If you have a bunch of tungsten lights on, turn up the yellow. If you have daylight coming in through the window, you turn down the yellow. If you are not blending the ambient use the day or white light settings, no matter what you are trying to do a custom white balance will help a lot.

Nice lights by the way

For those who want more consistent results using what lighting you have including daylight, shade, overcast sky, incandescent, led considering purchasing an 18% gray card. Place the card in your test shot and use that part of the image in your photo editing program to set the color balance and exposure. Tweak for drama from there. Don't use florescent, lacking it too many wavelengths.

Unless you're running Canon LOG or a similar cinema pro style video file you gotta nail video WB during the shoot. Can't afford Canon LOG so the WB editing is limited in Final Cut Pro and Premiere if you shoot MOV/ALL-I consumer style video. Thus, you need need to nail WB with a custom manual setting during the shoot. So yes I start with a gray card and tweak to taste before tickling the silver strings. I always use the same lights and positions so my manual WB is spot on at 4800K. But, hot damn, those video lights make you sweat like a pig while trying to work your music mojo. So a set of cool running LEDs are extremely welcome if they're quiet.

Unless you're running Canon LOG or a similar cinema pro style video file you gotta nail video WB during the shoot. Can't afford Canon LOG so the WB editing is limited in Final Cut Pro and Premiere if you shoot MOV/ALL-I consumer style video. Thus, you need need to nail WB with a custom manual setting during the shoot. So yes I start with a gray card and tweak to taste before tickling the silver strings. I always use the same lights and positions so my manual WB is spot on at 4800K. But, hot damn, those video lights make you sweat like a pig while trying to work your music mojo. So a set of cool running LEDs are extremely welcome if they're quiet.

Nice thanks-
These lights are 3200-5600K with CRI 96+
I have a gray card (and reflectors etc) but don't use it as I seem to get good shots as is- just everything on auto.

No need to get tricky when simple works for me (now I have these lights)...but ill play with my grey card as id like to have the knowledge.

IMG_0731.jpg
IMG_0723 2.jpg

For those who want more consistent results using what lighting you have including daylight, shade, overcast sky, incandescent, led considering purchasing an 18% gray card. Place the card in your test shot and use that part of the image in your photo editing program to set the color balance and exposure. Tweak for drama from there. Don't use florescent, lacking it too many wavelengths.

Wow, 18% gray card. Is there a photographer in the crowd?
Not all gray cards are neutral. Kodak used to sell one, but who knows nowadays. Macbeth sells a balanced 18% Gray Card, but it's not cheap. It does not have to be an 18% Gray Card any solid neutral tone will work. Even white. Be careful using a white cloth though; manufacturers sometimes add a little blue to the color to make it look more brilliant. If you use it to balance your color, your image will have a slight yellow tint.

Sorry if this is too much information. I am excited to be able to contribute to a conversation :)

I still have a whole set of the Kodak cards and actually use them! Probably from the mid-90s! I had an old Tamrac bag that was almost a perfect 18% gray and I often used it outdoors! My white reflector works pretty good to set video WB if it's already out.

I use the X-rite ColorChecker Passport for extablishing my white balance and colors.

Set up lighting and take a couple of photos of the cards in place. Easy to set white balance in post if shooting in RAW photos or in Davinci Resolve when shooting V-Log for video.

Top Bottom