Tuning a uke with Low G

Kherome

Reaction score
When your uke is strung with low g strings, and you use a clip on tuner, are you still tuning the top string to G by the tuner? Does that make sense?

5th fret on low G is C, same as 4th string open, as a double check.

5th fret on low G is C, same as 4th string open, as a double check.

Slower and dumber please? If I fret the low g string at the 5th fret it should sound the same as what? Isn't c the 3rd string? Sorry, very new player

Slower and dumber please? If I fret the low g string at the 5th fret it should sound the same as what? Isn't c the 3rd string? Sorry, very new player

First of all yes you tune it to G. Secondly as Barrytone said if you fret the 4th string (low G string) at the 5th fret it is a C note. If you pluck the open 3rd string it is a C note. So they do sound the same. You can use your clip on tuner to verify this. Fretting the 4th string on the fifth fret the tuner will read C.

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't make things even more confusing for anyone, but if my tuner is set for chromatic, a G is a G is a G, and a C is a C is a C, and so on, but on the U for ukulele setting, it only recognizes the octave that pertains to an individual string. So my question, I've never used a low G, would a tuner necessarily recognize the low G on the U setting? I'm just saying it could get frustrating, and maybe even stretch a low G pretty tight if it only recognized the high G. I wouldn't want someone breaking a string or damaging a uke. It does register on the chromatic setting on my tuner though.

When your uke is strung with low g strings, and you use a clip on tuner, are you still tuning the top string to G by the tuner? Does that make sense?

Check your 12th frets on your uku with your clip on tuner. They are octave high.

I hope this doesn't make things even more confusing for anyone, but if my tuner is set for chromatic, a G is a G is a G, and a C is a C is a C, and so on, but on the U for ukulele setting, it only recognizes the octave that pertains to an individual string. So my question, I've never used a low G, would a tuner necessarily recognize the low G on the U setting? I'm just saying it could get frustrating, and maybe even stretch a low G pretty tight if it only recognized the high G. I wouldn't want someone breaking a string or damaging a uke. It does register on the chromatic setting on my tuner though.

I have never thought of that or even used use those specific instrument modes myself, only the chromatic one. But now come to think, yes it won't recognize low G, if there is only standard ukulele mode of tuning. Then it is for re-entrant.

I guess using ukulele, or guitar or any particular stringed instrument mode can be useful if changing strings by snapping all old strings off first before putting new strings. I myself change just one string at a time, so old strings can be used as a reference. Or use a keyboard for middle C reference if you have one, or an online uke tuner, or a tuner that tells if a pitch is G3 (low-g) C4 E4 A4. Or just trust your ears for the right octave pitch/tension. It is bad to go over much.

Both low and high G have same overtone and tuner doesn't matter if low or high. Try 12th fret on your ukulele.

Well that style of tuning, of course can be used too. It is more appropriate used with bass guitars. Though my TC Electronic clip can cover such a wide range of frequencies that I guess no need for harmonics even then.

---------

Basically, and what is a message I forgot to emphasize, is to use the chromatic tuning mode for your 4th G string, what ever octave and for all the rest of the strings too. The instrument modes are really rather toy settings. Usable for situations I posted above.

Ok my empath capabilities now get some feelings about what is good with instrument modes. Yes, maybe able restrict the tuner analysis of frequencies, like in a bass guitar case.
But I rather think that ukulele does not need such a thing.

If you keep turning the tuner you'll notice the notes keep changing in order. You will hit G, just at a different octave than high g.

"Given the lack of knowledge reflected in the question, I suggest you look up a thing called a pitch pipe. Kratt makes a nice metal model. I am not sure if there is a low G model, but that may not matter. You blow in the pitch pipe and it makes the noise for the note, so you can hear the sound and octave you are looking for, and the note is written on the pipe."

Way more complicated, requiring a trained ear, than just using a tuner. All you need to say is tune til you hit G.

Not way more complicated at all. You blow in the pipe and it makes the noise. Then you can get the right octave. You can still use an electronic tuner to do the fine tuning. You can use both tuning tools at once, its not like you will blow up if you use a pitch pipe and an electronic tuner at the same time.
You could also probably find an app that make the audio noise for the right GCEA notes if you can't wait to order a pitch pipe. Again you don't have to torture yourself with doing it all by ear, you can use both the audio App and your electronic tuner to get the string tuned correctly.

Good post. I myself did not knew any about clip tuners for so many years, Just used my tuning fork to get a reference for my guitar.
It is good idea to know how to tune the ukulele without some gadget that we love today.

Or to know how much one can err, without a tuner analysis. they are great ones we have now in this world.

Top Bottom