Thread: Originals

Default Originals

I was just wondering how many people write their own songs? I’m really interested in learning instrumentals and having the Uke ideally sing for me. However, as I’ve been strumming I’ve started fooling around with some songs I wrote ten yrs ago for fun. The songs were rap tracks, but they are a surprisingly funny contrasts. The reason I ask about originals is because they make it super easy for me to contort them to different chord/ picking arrangements I improvise. Due to the fact I know the lyrics like the back of my hand. I’m thinking it’s going to accelerate my ability to cover other songs. I have been struggling strumming and singing like most at the start. I wonder if writing your own songs right away and experimenting with easy chord transitions is a fast way to combining the two skills. Anybody have experience with this?
    Kiwaya KTS-4 - High G - Living Water
    Moon Bird UC200 - High G - Black Water
    Blackbird Clara Sunburst - Low G - Fremont
    Kanile’a K-2 Premium Concert - High G - Living Water
    KoAloha KCO-10 Acacia - High G - Stock
    Flea Concert - High G - Living Water
    Aiersi OU-31M - High G - Worth

If you Uke easy, life will be hard. If you Uke hard, life will be easy.

I've done my own piece. It was really fun and I'm really pleased with it. It's no masterpiece but it is *my* masterpiece.

Have fun playing around and seeing what evolves from it.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise • Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka 100th anniversary • Kanile'a KSR-T • LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

I've written a few ditties for The Seasons of the Ukulele, others have written some good quality songs too, (much better than mine), take a look.

I mainly play melodies on my ukes, but occasionally write a ditty to participate in the Seasons, even attempt a song now & again.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...of-the-Ukulele
    https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...asonista+wrote
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I've written 2 chord melodies. One of which is a song for my recently born great niece, so it's very special to me. Both are short and not terribly complex, but were fun to figure out & enjoyable to play. Bill1 is correct when he says write them down as you go. I spend time figuring them out, and it takes about 2 seconds for the stuff to fall out of my brain if not written down immediately.

I was fortunate to attend a weekend workshop with Kimo Hussey last year, and putting these chord melodies together got me using many of the concepts he taught about melody, transitions, resolution, and chord progressions.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 03-25-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

I'll occasionally write a parody of a song, like "That's Amore" becoming "That's a Moray."
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

When I first picked up the uke back in the late 80's I only played my own stuff, mostly simple 3 chord speed songs. As I got more into effects that drifted more into free form jamming. For the most part that is still true today though just acoustically. I learned a few songs when I was taking lessons but I'll admit I have a hard time with it. I'd much rather borrow stuff and make something of my own out of it. I might progress faster if I could learn to play stuff other people wrote (especially jazz standards). Or I might just get bored and quit Since I'm always coming up with bits and pieces of things what I'd most like to be able to do is stuff like Mike Dawes does when he layers parts. Maybe with some more time and practice...

John
    Last edited by jelow1966; 03-26-2019 at 06:04 PM.

When I bought my first uke, back in 2005, I didn't even bother to get a chord chart. A song just kind of happened....3 verses of lyrics and all. It wasn't until 2017 that I bothered to sit down and figure out which chords I had been playing for nearly 10 years.

Recently, another song has been slowly evolving but I'm afraid it's a little too similar to tge first one
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Thread Information