NUD: from a noob, Romero Creations Tiny Tenor

dobro

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm pretty much a total newbie on the ukulele. I got my wife an inexpensive Kala soprano a couple years ago and she's started playing occasionally with a group from her church, and recently I've been going with her and playing along on guitar. The Ukulele Fever hit, so I decided to get one for myself.

I knew I wanted a little more fretboard room, and did a good bit of internet research the past few weeks. Last Saturday, I drove a couple hours to Atlanta to Uke Republic and tried out a bunch of instruments. Before I went, I was most interested in a Kumu koa laminate in either concert or tenor, or the satin finish spruce/mahogany laminate Tiny Tenor.

Mike left me alone in the showroom to noodle around on whatever I wanted, and when I finally got to the Tiny Tenor, it sounded to my ear better than anything else in my price range....so it came home with me. I think it will be a great starter instrument. It came strung up low-G, which I was looking for, but I can already see that I may have to add another uke strung up high-G! ;-)

I know some have mentioned this instrument is over-priced, but I don't agree. It may be for some, but not for me, as it had the sound I was looking for in the price range I wanted to spend, as well as being pretty well put-together. Not cheap, but not expensive...fairly priced IMO. I understand this series is no longer going to be made, which is a shame.

I've been playing a couple hours a day and have a *lot* to learn obviously, but I'm having a blast. My main instrument is the dobro (hence my screen name!), and since I play it lap style with a bar, it's a totally different animal. I do play some guitar as well, but I'm way out of practice...at least some of that knowledge is coming in handy on the ukulele...I really need to work on my right hand! I'm hoping to pick up some tips here on UU.

Sorry, no pics of my own yet...perhaps later.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Very good choice and I could not agree more. I have 5 tenors from Customs, several very nice Pono’s, a Fluke and my last purchase a year ago was the solid top, laminate TT. What a great sounding and playinh ukulele. Punching way above it class. I’m totally happy with it. IMHO, one of the best values out there. Terrific sound, projection and sustain. I like it so much I KNOW I will get and all solid TT at some point. Nice choice enjoy. Mine is. Keeper I can take anywhere and have. It’s been on numerous flight across Canada from coast to coast. Enjoy!

Congratulations! That's a wonderful looking uke - but I think you've linked a picture of the concert model, not the tenor (?)

Wow, very solid choice for your first uke, I’m sure you will enjoy playing the TT for a long while!

I just finished the Vancouver Ukulele Festival where we had the pleasure to taking workshops from Danial Ho who played his tiny tenor the entire weekend.

Ah, well, so I did! Not looking close enough....they have removed the my uke, I suppose since I got the last one. I'll take down the link - thanks!

Lee

Awesome! Those Romeros are cool ukes. I wish I was a 2 hour drive from Uke Republic, or any cool ukulele store with massive selection.

Mike, from Uke Republic is a nice guy to work with. He will give you good advice when you need to buy strings and accessories as well.

If you like the way it sounds, plays and looks, then it's not overpriced. It's just right.

They are nice instruments and sell very quickly whenever one is listed in the Marketplace. You'll enjoy it for years to come. And it does make a nice travel uke.

Congrats on your TT. My wife owns one, and I love playing it!

Top Bottom