Any Will Ackerman Fans?

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
I bought my first Will Ackerman CD several years ago, and at first I was disappointed because I was hoping for some intricate fingerstyle stuff that I could study and do my best to "work out" and add to my "coffeehouse setlist". I soon realized that Will is not a flashy player. In fact, there have been times when I've actually thought to myself, "Hey, this guy is just setting up a general theme with a couple of chords and then going back over it, over and over..." And yet, there was always something about his compositions that kept me coming back to the few CD's of his that I eventually accumulated, not necessarily to try learning the songs, but rather just to listen to them in the quiet of an afternoon or evening, simply because I found a degree of peace and comfort in them. As recently as last week, I asked my "Alexa" device to play a random Will Ackerman song for me, and a song called "In A Region of Clouds" began to play-- one I hadn't heard before. And once again, I felt a great sense of peace, despite the fact that the song is not intricate or flashy. I guess it's in the way he employs various altered tunings (some VERY unusual) and chord voicings to achieve a certain "something" that keeps me going back to listen to the songs over and over. Anyone have this same experience with Will Ackerman?

Go listen to Alex DiGrassi. I like him better than Ackerman. He started recording about that same time.

Top Bottom