Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound Port on Enya EUT-X1 Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    Curious zjerry, did the sound port make a iffference on your Fluke. I have a four year old all laminate Walnut. It’s gotten better sounding as the laminate dried out and got older. I saw the sound hole option. Do you like it on this ukulele?
    I'm sure someone would be able to tell the difference, but I have only one Fluke. If I ever have mine when I see someone else playing a Fluke, I'll do a comparison. It was available, it was something different, so I went for it. I chose the Woodie graphic.

Fluke Woodie.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Like that graphic on your fluke. Nice vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Like that graphic on your fluke. Nice vibe.
    Thanks. Since I was buying a Fluke, I figured I'd get one with a nice graphic. I could have supplied them with a picture, and they could have put that on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Did you get the walnut ply top,back and sides kit? Iíve been looking at those. Was it hard to build?
    No, mine was the Mahogany kit with solid top and laminated sides/back. It wasn't hard to build. I finished mine in 6 weeks, and that's with the extra work of adding the sound port with reinforcing ring, bindings, and a pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    It definitely something to try with a low cost uke. I made the sound hole in a dolphin, instead of cutting it all out I drilled a grid of 8mm or 10mm holes in a 2" ellipse. Tape up the area with some masking tape and draw on the grid, drill it first with a smaller bit and finish off with the 8mm or 10mm bit. I was going to cut it out with a fretsaw, but never bothered, the grid of holes improve the playing experience enough for me.
    Most people can manage a hand drill and marking out an ellipse with a grid, its not all that hard. If you are tempted, pick up a low cost uke and have a try at doing it, its fun and interesting at the same time.
    Maybe its not something you do to a rare old uke, but if there are 10,000+ dolphins in circulation, no-one is going to miss one.
    Would you smooth the edges of the hole with a file?

Quote Originally Posted by Col50 View Post
    I certainly would not cut any large holes in any musical instrument.

I had an Enya EUT X1, it was badly made with a warped and bent neck, it was returned, heaven knows what the long term effect will be of cutting a large home in one
    Youíre the second person I have heard about this with a EUT-X1. (Besley was the other). I have bought a number of Enya products at this point and I have been happy with all of them. There must have been a bad (or green) batch of okume tenor necks.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

This EUT-X1 was my first experience with Enya. I bought it for my kids to learn on. I was pretty impressed with it. I ended up also buying an Enya 3/4 size acoustic guitar. It is incredible for just over a hundred bucks. All in all good instruments for kids to play around with.

Thread Information