Kiwaya 100th year Anniversary 2019 Limited Edition Ukulele

AustinHing

Reaction score
So I was browsing on the Kiwaya Japanese website and accidentally saw this. Not sure if this is already old news.

At only 207,252 yen (~usd 1,883), you get a limited edition solid cherry concert Kiwaya uke, only 10 pieces in the world. And seems like still available. There are other models too, but this one has the Japanese cherry wood block style painting on the back.

https://www.kiwayasbest.com/shopdetail/000000002991/ct417/page1/order/

Other available 100th year anniversary models
https://www.kiwayasbest.com/shopbrand/ct417/

Edit: just saw it in elderly, $2,235. I guessed that’s after shipping stuff.

Last edited:
Elderly Music has had a few of them listed for a while... still available there.

Last edited:
They showed up on HMS website about a month or so ago. There were 4 models, each with a different design for the 4 seasons. Very pretty & unique. I saw one on The Elderly music website yesterday.

They showed up on HMS website about a month or so ago. There were 4 models, each with a different design for the 4 seasons. Very pretty & unique. I saw one on The Elderly music website yesterday.

So, you'd need all 4 for a full set! :D I don't doubt there are folks who would do that.

HMS listed 2 or 3 unique ones a few weeks ago. They were sold quickly.
With such limited pieces per anniversary models, It’s no wonder!

Elderly Music has had a few of them listed for a while... still available there.
I just saw those, and are gorgeous. There’s 4 model designs based on 4 seasons but I think elderly got 2 of them. I prefer the summer version.
D1C92A7F-2834-4694-A02C-4E57824D548D.jpg

You post the text. Then you go back and "Edit" and enter the link.

Wow! What a uke! And they made only ten!

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/pro...ited-edition-winter-concert-ukulele/?___SID=U

Yup, right? ten! But they have the extremely flamed, curl koa in soprano and concert, kts-100 and ktc-100 in 100 pieces each! Here’s number #27.
8AED0305-F950-42BC-BCCD-5489AA5326A3.jpg

Do check out the kiwaya youtube, “KiwayaCH”. The recent videos show demos of the anniversary models. I’m impressed by the sustain which are like ringing forever.

The kiwaya fans should be lining up already. Haha

So, you'd need all 4 for a full set! :D I don't doubt there are folks who would do that.

You really do, and you can play a different 1 at each season!

The must have made ten for each season. How could they possible decide what dealers would get them? I can't imagine any one dealer would get more than four. I'm not thrilled with the looks of the Spring version.

Interesting tidbit. I was just looking at a Kiwaya made in 2015 that was a 60th year uke. Now 4 years later this is a 100th year uke. Wonder how this works?

Interesting tidbit. I was just looking at a Kiwaya made in 2015 that was a 60th year uke. Now 4 years later this is a 100th year uke. Wonder how this works?

It works rather well to sell ukuleles. :)

Kanile'a has been around only twenty years, but they had special 20th anniversary ukes. Kamaka had their 1916 - 2016 specials.

In 1995, I bought a Honda Gold Wing. It had a big "20th Anniversary" badge on back. Five years later, they had a "25th Anniversary" model.

Guess it’s more of a anniversary since the birth of the company. In any case, it’s good news that we have more options for some limited ed stuff.

Quoted from Kiwaya, “KIWAYA was established in 1919 as a maintenance service company for gramophones in Tokyo.
The founder of KIWAYA, Kitaroh Okamoto was changing the business model from gramophone maintenance toward becoming a music shop in the 1940's.

Famous ukulele- the first season model(1950's)
In 1957, Ryouji Okamoto joined KIWAYA as the president, and he led KIWAYA's transition to become a musical instrument company.
Then, the boom of "Hawaiian music" swept all over Japan.”

The must have made ten for each season. How could they possible decide what dealers would get them? I can't imagine any one dealer would get more than four. I'm not thrilled with the looks of the Spring version.

Well, you could buy directly from the Kiwaya site too, provided that you got residence in Japan! I rather think that the usual normal sales dealers may not really be that hot on these. HMS and elderly are reputated and carry high end ukes can afford to do so. there may be lot of Kiwaya fan but to fork out extra dough for a fancy painting on an uke? There are, but not too many.

I agreed. The spring version may be captivating initially, but I found myself liking the summer more. Too pinkish and cute for the spring

"In 1995, I bought a Honda Gold Wing. It had a big '20th Anniversary' badge on back. Five years later, they had a '25th Anniversary' model."

I remember the introduction of the Honda 'Gold Wing' back in the mid 1970s. I rode one of the very early examples. It was a heck of an experience for someone brought up on on BSAs and Triumphs!

John Colter.

I remember the introduction of the Honda 'Gold Wing' back in the mid 1970s. I rode one of the very early examples. It was a heck of an experience for someone brought up on on BSAs and Triumphs!

John Colter.

Cruise control, AM/FM/CB/intercom, reverse gear, smooth and quiet, good power and handling. It was an experience riding it.

They are lacquered not painted. A Japanese art form in itself called Maki-E. So its a work of Japanese art as well as a musical instrument. I doubt that the pictures do the work justice, I suspect if you could see and hold any of the models you would not want to let it go. Underneath the lacquer is a cherry wood ukulele.
Not unlike buying a uke which has fine art quality inlay and or carving.
The blurb says only 10 were made, so its a limited edition as well.
They will sell out to collector buyers who enjoy fine Japanese art forms, they will try to get a set of four. I will be surprised to see a UU member buy one.
But its something interesting for Uke Talk.

You are absolutely right on the art technique and form. And it’s definitely not for casual use. I would imagine the set of four in a glass box, despite their amazing build would barely get any play time.”

You are absolutely right on the art technique and form. And it’s definitely not for casual use. I would imagine the set of four in a glass box, despite their amazing build would barely get any play time.”

I would have to buy a special shirt for it to rest against while I played it. Definitely not a denim jacket. :D

Although, at that level of quality, I suspect it will be a durable instrument. This isn't something painted on with watercolors from Walmart.

I would have to buy a special shirt for it to rest against while I played it. Definitely not a denim jacket. :D

Although, at that level of quality, I suspect it will be a durable instrument. This isn't something painted on with watercolors from Walmart.

This is a better shirt, IMO. Haha.
B9258415-CEB1-40EF-A0FE-4BAD8E65AA40.jpg

Edit:
Seems like this lacquer paint stuff uses real gold powder. Now I definitely won’t want to accidentally scrape any of the gold off.

Last edited:
Ukulele.jpg I ordered this Kiwaya Centennial Soprano Ukulele from Elderly Instruments. It's Cherry wood and the Maki-e lacquer ware technique on this one is simpler than on the concert "Season" ukes. I was looking for a Kiwaya Soprano anyway, and I liked this one. Also liked that it came with a Crossrock hard shell case. Will be receiving it in May as I will first be back in the States in May. And, to respond to a response further below in this thread; yes I'll be playing it and expect to enjoy it.

Top Bottom