Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brewkulele

Default Brewkulele

(I have no affiliation with this company or event)

I just stumbled on a series of events for complete novices in Massachusetts called Brewkulele. The company provides instruments and whatnot and provides a 2hr class at local craft brewery. Sounds fun. It might be a little basic for me, but they'll be at my favorite taproom and I've never played in a group so I'll be checking it out.

https://www.brewkulele.com

From the FAQs-

"Can I bring my own ukulele?
    We recommend using the ukuleles provided during the event. The ukuleles we provide are specifically set up to facilitate learning the song."

Huh? Perhaps they have all the right notes built in?

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    From the FAQs-

"Can I bring my own ukulele?
    We recommend using the ukuleles provided during the event. The ukuleles we provide are specifically set up to facilitate learning the song."

Huh? Perhaps they have all the right notes built in?
    Maybe they are those Bluetooth jobbies, with the LED fingerboards to show finger position But after a few IPAs, who cares?
    John

I think those are called Fretlight ukes! Sorta like TAB for the new millennium. Their salesman hounded me for months trying to get our college to adopt their system (controller board, software app, instruments, etc). However, beer aspect sounds good and in the end that's all that matters.

I'm confused - they say that the participants will learn "One Song in the style of" certain artists, but "due to copyright concerns" can't release the name of the artist or song. And for the Baseball one, the song ls listed as "Suite Clementine".

"Suite"?????? The song is "Sweet Clementine", public domain from the mid-1800's, and I'm trying to understand the baseball link.

For the other events, I have to be honest - $30 for a beer, learn to play a single song (which is either public domain, or a freely admitted copyright violation), and you have to use THEIR ukes, unless you are left handed... sounds like BS to me.

-Kurt
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

For $30 that had better be a beer large enough to swim in!

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    I'm confused - they say that the participants will learn "One Song in the style of" certain artists, but "due to copyright concerns" can't release the name of the artist or song. And for the Baseball one, the song ls listed as "Suite Clementine".

"Suite"?????? The song is "Sweet Clementine", public domain from the mid-1800's, and I'm trying to understand the baseball link.
    Niel Diamond, Sweet Caroline.
    https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...allpark-anthem
    "Life is short. Opera is long."

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
    Niel Diamond, Sweet Caroline.
    [
    So it it is Sweet Caroline (rather than Suite Clementine, as they posted), they screwed the pooch on two words. If they are that lazy in failing to proofread, it looks like an even bigger ripoff.
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    So it it is Sweet Caroline (rather than Suite Clementine, as they posted), they screwed the pooch on two words. If they are that lazy in failing to proofread, it looks like an even bigger ripoff.
    Kurt, maybe they were sampling the product too liberally when designing their promotional materials
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Y'all a bunch of downers this week. Did EVERYONE forget to drink their Ovaltine or something? I've got my ticket. I'll report back at the end of May.

"Set up to learn the song" could either mean a non-GCEA tuning, or maybe they're using the color-coded Aquila "kids" strings. Mostly, I think they don't want to have to troubleshoot problems with someone's else uke. I can see someone coming to the event with an Amazon-purchased uke that has mile high action and loose friction tuners, demanding that the staff help them make it sound good. And, yeah... They probably called the song Suite Clementine on purpose to avoid copyright issues. This is a Massachusetts company and anyone in this area reading that would immediately know they meant Sweet Caroline which has become synonymous with the Boston Red Sox.

Thread Information