season 372 - uke ritual

In 1977 an impossibly young YorkSteve (then NorthantsSteve) went to the Reading rock festival, hopelessly unprepared for the mud-bath that it would turn into.
Hawkwind played on the Sunday afternoon, and although I can't recall a thing about their set, I do remember being surrounded by much older people, waving cans of beer around and shouting "ORK-wind, ORK-wind!!" a lot.
I am so glad that the internet wasn't around then. If my mother had seen the photos of the festival that I have found for this video, I would never have been allowed out of the house again. Even if she was around to see them today, I think I would still get quite a telling off.
The song is from the Quark, Strangeness & Charm LP, which had been released a couple of months earlier.

Last edited:
Had a lot of fun with this one - added in some uke effects and sound effects, and also some vocal harmonies and a drum beat. Not really sure if it’s supposed to sound like this but here it is anyway:

we seem to have a season theme song already, i thought it might be sliver machine, but it looks like it could be quark strangeness and charm! and oh look, bringing hawkwind and the mighty marc bolan together, here is the band performing that song on the marc show back in 1977...
I was going to find this clip for you, but you beat me to it. Apparently Dave Brock refused to appear, due to a long-standing feud with Marc Bolan (despite Marc introducing them as his best friends).

Season 372. Submission 1. "Slice Of Moon" An Original by Turtledrum (Copyright Linda Opyr, 2019)

Thanks so much for hosting, BEV, and this great theme.

I've looked at a number of Hawkwind songs and enjoyed that quite a bit.

What I'm bringing to the Season is this original. I hope you'll find that my recent listening is reflected in what I've done. Also reflected in what I've written is the fact that April here is marked by an observance of Earth Day. The health of our Earth is something I consider each and every day. And I have grown increasingly concerned. This, too, is reflected in my song.

I hope that you find it fits your vision for this Season's originals.

soprano archtop ukulele here

my fave song will win a "uke ritual" t-shirt
or

if you don't fancy a naked lady on your chest....

I do fancy that, indeed I do! Yes please, etc :drool:

I had just prepared the basics of two entries when some well paid translations came in. Hope to post on Thursday!

Rock on to the ends of the Universe, of which you are obviously the Mistress, Lynda!

I had already recorded a different version of this song which I've now labeled the "80s synth pop version," but this morning my wife heard some reggae song and said I should do some songs like that. So I recorded a new version, trying to do a reggae beat, and this is it.

Here is the 80s synth pop version.

Apparently Dave Brock refused to appear, due to a long-standing feud with Marc Bolan (despite Marc introducing them as his best friends).
lol!!!!!!!!!! that's really tickling me!!!!!!!

I do fancy that, indeed I do! Yes please, etc :drool:
lol!!!!!!!!! i know - what's not to fancy???!!

well, WOW, another fantastic day of hawkwind heaven! i am so enjoying listening to all the brilliant covers and inspired originals. purely acoustic uke vids are proving that without a doubt hawkwind can be brought that way and still totally fully express the space rock vibe! it's a scientific fact - YOU ALL ROCK! :rock:

Fun rabbit hole! Wilhelm Reich and Orgonite!
Anyway- I have some reading in my future, but first a whacky song.

Silver Machine

Before anyone else gets in. :)
Fun fact: I once performed this for the Dublin Airport TSA, who wanted to know what was in the suspicious looking case. :smileybounce:

Uke, jaw harp and purring cover of "Upside Down" (1973) by Dave Brock.

Top Bottom