Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MiSi pick-up question

Default MiSi pick-up question

I have owned 4 ukuleles with MiSi pick-ups. I played a Loprinzi concert weekly at church, plugged into the PA system. No problem. I currently play my aNueNue Moon Bird plugged in. No problem. I recently had a MiSi pick-up installed in my KoAloha concert. I plugged it into my Blackstar Fly amp at home with no problem. I took it to church today to see how it sounds, and it's as if it's not amplified. I can't hear any amplified sound coming from the monitor. I switch back to my Moon Bird and no problem. Back to the KoAloha ......same problem. Back home, I plug into my amp and it's fine. Hmmmm. Whats up? I only plugged in the KoAloha for a few minutes & the sound guy wasn't there yet. But I wouldn't think it would go from zero amplified sound from one ukulele to just fine with the other. MiSi is an active pick-up, and it is properly charged. I've never used a DI or pre-amp with either the Loprinzi or Moon Bird for the past year of playing at church.

Am I missing something simple? I didn't get a chance to ask the sound guy about it after church.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Hmm, same cable? If so, I got nothin
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Same cable. Just switching back & forth between the two ukes. Same cable I use at home with the Blackstar Fly amp which is a 6w practice amp. When I picked up the uke from the acoustic guitar/ukulele shop on Tuesday, I plugged into their Fishman amp & it sounded great.

We arrive a hour before the church service & run through our songs. I plugged in the KoAloha first and couldn't hear it. I made sure I had my tuner pedal in the on position. Nothing. Switched back to the Moon Bird .....great sound. Set the KoAloha aside while we ran through our songs. After we were done, I tried the KoAloha again. It was relatively quiet in the sanctuary and I stuck my ear up to the monitor to listen. Zip. Just the unplugged sound. I always bring my MiSi charger with me just in case. Gave it a 60 second charge and tried again. Zip. Back at home I got out the practice amp and plugged in (same cable as church), and it sounded great. The KoAloha is definitely brighter & louder than the Moon Bird, and way louder than my Loprinzi that I used plugged in with the same set-up at church for the last year. Weird.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 03-31-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    My ukulele family.....

You’ve charged your pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    You’ve charged your pickup?
    Yes. It’s a MiSi pick-up. Active pick-up/pre-amp with rechargable capacitor. A 60 second charge gives you up to 16 hours of power. I recharge every other month for weekly plugged in play.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 03-31-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    My ukulele family.....

Wait, you said it just got installed. Something has to have gone wrong with the install. A missing ground, a loose connection, something. You've ruled out pretty much everything else.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

The Fish Amp @ the shop and the Blackstar Amp @ ur house produce sound for your Koaloha when using your cable. The Church's sound system does not. Try plug the cable into the input socket of the church's sound system, and put your thumb on the jack tip end that goes into your Koaloha. You should hear a buzzing sound. If not, bring it to the attention of the Church's sound man, or try another cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Wait, you said it just got installed. Something has to have gone wrong with the install. A missing ground, a loose connection, something. You've ruled out pretty much everything else.
    I thought about an installation problem, but why would it work fine when plugged into two different amps? I will take it back to the shop & talk to the technician about it.
    My ukulele family.....

When you were switching between the Moon Bird and the KoAloha (running them into the Church P.A.), were you using the same channel?

Just wondering if maybe there's a "bad channel", or maybe a "mute" button was inadvertently pushed?
    Last edited by Bill Sheehan; 03-31-2019 at 05:28 PM.

You might try it for another week at home, first, then if okay always, at church. It may be so simple as running the battery down at home and not having enough to power it at church. If it misbehaves at home, then you will have more info for the shop to figure it out.

Thread Information