Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Changing strings

Iíve changed strings but not the through the bridge type. Iím not a fan of needing a special tool to help me pull the strings through.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by keenonuke View Post
    I’ve changed strings but not the through the bridge type. I’m not a fan of needing a special tool to help me pull the strings through.
    I'm curious. What kind of special tool do you use for through-the-bridge strings? The only times I've done it, I've just used my fingers to fish the loose end of the string out through the soundhole, tied a knot, and then pulled it tight.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

Nicely done! I just changed my strings as well. Iím stuck with a buzzing C string though now and struggling to find a fix. I tried raising the bridge with pieces of paper and that helped, but I still trying to figure out what to do. I donít know if I want to take my Uke anywhere though because it was pretty cheap and Iíd rather save my money for a better Uke in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by UkesNBeards View Post
    Nicely done! I just changed my strings as well. I’m stuck with a buzzing C string though now and struggling to find a fix. I tried raising the bridge with pieces of paper and that helped, but I still trying to figure out what to do. I don’t know if I want to take my Uke anywhere though because it was pretty cheap and I’d rather save my money for a better Uke in the future.
    What size uke? What kind of saddle/bridge does your uke have? What kind of strings did it originally have? What did you replace them with? (Brand; Nylon or Fluorocarbon; Wound or plain) How high are the strings at the 1st fret and at the 12th?
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Itís a tenor; nubone bridge and nut; Aquila super nylgut were original strings then I wanted to try a low g and a guy changed all of the strings to Aquila nylgut sů then I changed them all back to the super nylgut plain; Iím not sure about the height exactly because I donít have a special measurement tool for that, but itís about .2-.3 mm at the first fret and .4-.5 at the 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by UkesNBeards View Post
    It’s a tenor; nubone bridge and nut; Aquila super nylgut were original strings then I wanted to try a low g and a guy changed all of the strings to Aquila nylgut sů then I changed them all back to the super nylgut plain; I’m not sure about the height exactly because I don’t have a special measurement tool for that, but it’s about .2-.3 mm at the first fret and .4-.5 at the 12th.
    Something's not right. The string height over the 12th fret should be around 2 to 3 mm. 0.4 or 0.5mm would be way too low.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    Something's not right. The string height over the 12th fret should be around 2 to 3 mm. 0.4 or 0.5mm would be way too low.
    From your description, it sounds like you might be missing the saddle. This is the bone or plastic piece that fits into a slot in the bridge that the strings go over. It raises the strings up off of the wooden bridge. It is what a tech person will sand down to lower the strings, or put a shim underneath to raise them. A piezo pickup also is fitted under the saddle.

It's the white bar across the wood bridge in this photo of a Kala Elite tenor. This is a through the bridge type. You feed the string through the hole into the body of the uke. Fish out the end of the string and tie a large knot or attach a bead. Then pull the string tight by the end sticking out of the bridge and run it up over the nut and around the tuner peg.

kala-elite-3.jpg

PS: There are some bridges with a slot in the wood to hold the string. The wood bridge also acts as the saddle with these. Usually found in vintage instruments.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 12-17-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information