Changing strings

Kherome

Reaction score
I bought an amazing Kala Elite from a forum member, and it came with a low G wound string. I really liked the sound. But I struggled with play along with videos because most of them had traditional gCEA tuning instead and my efforts didn't sound the same, which as a newbie, that threw me off. I finally got brave and restrung the uke to gCEA, by myself, which was very unnerving *for me.* I'm sure it's nothing to most but whew, I feel like I survived something...to be done, restrung, and everything went ok. (I think!) To make it more complicated (IMO) the uke strings go through the body, it's not as simple as a tie bridge. Trying to get the strings in and out through the sound hole was a little tough a couple of times. When I am a better player, I look forward to restringing with a low g again.

Well done! I’m a newbie to stringed instruments and the idea of restringing is, as you say, unnerving. When my Pono tenor arrived it had a steel wire C string and I found it painful on my fingers and a little harsh sounding, so I took it to a local guitar/ukulele shop (I wasn’t as brave as you). Maybe with more experience with my ukes I might try restringing one myself.

Congrats on your initiation of changing the strings. There really is not too much that can go wrong assuming you don't drop or damage the ukulele. Messing up the string is cheap, and still hard to do. I took the plunge with my tie-off bridge a few months ago looking on the net and then copying the other strings and was pleasantly surprised that it came out well (with ends still protruding everywhere).

Kevin, be brave and try changing them yourself next time. And if you mess up, then go to the shop and have them finish the job. It is a great feeling when you do it. This allows the next step of buying multiple string sets to see which sounds best on your uke!

duplicate post... having site issues

Last edited:
Congrats! Unless you have mobility/dexterity or vision problems, working the nerve up can be the hardest part!

Kevin, give it a try next time you need new strings. You can't really do any damage changing strings unless you're egregiously careless (don't stab the soundboard with your scissors, don't drop the ukulele, etc.), and you'll want to change your strings more often than you'll want to pay for the shop to do so.

The first unnerving time is done, you are going to enjoy it in the future.
Only annoying that those damned new strings need to settle in, when you are most courious to hear what they sound like.

Well done on your first string change! I find it very easy,especially with nylon based strings,as
opposed to the 12 steel strings I used to have to change, when I played a 12 string guitar!

So how do you like the high g?

I like it, I was so thrown off trying to learn stuff that didn't sound the same as the "teacher" version. I like the low g, but I think it's better for an experienced player who is confident in their results... which I am not! Haha!

Congrats! Unless you have mobility/dexterity or vision problems, working the nerve up can be the hardest part!
Isn't that the way it is with a lot of things when it comes to ukuleles. Just working up the nerve to do it.

I like it, I was so thrown off trying to learn stuff that didn't sound the same as the "teacher" version. I like the low g, but I think it's better for an experienced player who is confident in their results... which I am not! Haha!
I love re-entrant high g. It is what makes the ukulele different from everything else. I'm glad that you are discovering that. Sometimes it is a challenge, but that is what makes it interesting.

Isn't that the way it is with a lot of things when it comes to ukuleles. Just working up the nerve to do it.

I love re-entrant high g. It is what makes the ukulele different from everything else. I'm glad that you are discovering that. Sometimes it is a challenge, but that is what makes it interesting.

I really liked the low G. BUT I also love the high g, and most of the stuff for learning the uke is with typical re-entrant tuning. I could never tell if I was doing it right because it sounded so different on my uke. So I decided to suck it up and restring it for now. It was nerve wracking but turned out to be pretty easy overall and now I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I read good things about the Pepe Romero strings so that is what I have put on.

I struggled a bit with mine as the tenor uke uses bridge pins. I started changing the, all but broke a bridge pin. I bought new pins and am just waiting for them to arrive. Next uke purchase I will steer away from bridge pins.

I struggled a bit with mine as the tenor uke uses bridge pins. I started changing the, all but broke a bridge pin. I bought new pins and am just waiting for them to arrive. Next uke purchase I will steer away from bridge pins.

I have yet to change strings on a bridge-pin guitar that I bought a year ago.
Seems like I will have an anxious first time experience with strings soon too.

Basically it will go just fine, they are designed for the same purpose as those go through bridge and then tie a knot once fished the end from sound hole lol. I have not experienced that yet on ukulele. I don't like that on ukulele, to fish an end.

Acoustic guitars have pins, but a greater stress too on strings and I guess it takes some stress away from bridge glue. I don't see how it would much affect in sound. And so I don't see that much purpose for them in ukuleles or classical guitars. And look a bit ugly on ukes too if I may say.

Might want to TRY and use a bead on the end you tie off under pin, might be the ticket to keeping pin in

There are numerous YouTube videos that show how to change the strings on every type of bridge that are on ukuleles.

I highly recommend the gotaukulele.com site run by Barry Maz. It is aimed specifically at beginners and has a video blog that demonstrates how to change strings. The site is also crammed with tips and information for beginners. Plus he has ukulele reviews almost every week that are closely followed by players around the world.

Gordon from MyaMoe ukulels has a video about stringing ukuleles that is, well it really appeals to players with OCD. But I guarantee your strings won't slip if you use his technique.

The more you change strings, the easier it becomes. I recommend using a string winder, cost about $2, to unwind your strings. But I use my fingers to wind them.

Good luck. You can do it!

There is no video for 8 hole tie bridges....but...I used a Classical guitar restringing tutorial and it worked!

I use beads with bridge pins after my thin fluorocarbon strings would occasionally pop out as I was tightening them. The grooves were made for nylon strings and the fluoros were too thin. There are several YouTube videos about restringing ukes with bridge pins.

I don't know about other brands, Kanile'a ukuleles have a groove from the pin hole to the frets for the string. So you turn the groove notch in the pin towards the butt of the uke and not towards the headstock. I believe they have a video available online that shows the best way to restring one.

I also recommend a string winder, most come with a ‘wrench’ that can be used to remove bridge pins.

Top Bottom