Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing strings

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Isn't that the way it is with a lot of things when it comes to ukuleles. Just working up the nerve to do it.

I love re-entrant high g. It is what makes the ukulele different from everything else. I'm glad that you are discovering that. Sometimes it is a challenge, but that is what makes it interesting.
    I really liked the low G. BUT I also love the high g, and most of the stuff for learning the uke is with typical re-entrant tuning. I could never tell if I was doing it right because it sounded so different on my uke. So I decided to suck it up and restring it for now. It was nerve wracking but turned out to be pretty easy overall and now I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I read good things about the Pepe Romero strings so that is what I have put on.

I struggled a bit with mine as the tenor uke uses bridge pins. I started changing the, all but broke a bridge pin. I bought new pins and am just waiting for them to arrive. Next uke purchase I will steer away from bridge pins.

Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    I struggled a bit with mine as the tenor uke uses bridge pins. I started changing the, all but broke a bridge pin. I bought new pins and am just waiting for them to arrive. Next uke purchase I will steer away from bridge pins.
    I have yet to change strings on a bridge-pin guitar that I bought a year ago.
    Seems like I will have an anxious first time experience with strings soon too.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    Basically it will go just fine, they are designed for the same purpose as those go through bridge and then tie a knot once fished the end from sound hole lol. I have not experienced that yet on ukulele. I don't like that on ukulele, to fish an end.

Acoustic guitars have pins, but a greater stress too on strings and I guess it takes some stress away from bridge glue. I don't see how it would much affect in sound. And so I don't see that much purpose for them in ukuleles or classical guitars. And look a bit ugly on ukes too if I may say.

Might want to TRY and use a bead on the end you tie off under pin, might be the ticket to keeping pin in

Quote Originally Posted by perep View Post
    Might want to TRY and use a bead on the end you tie off under pin, might be the ticket to keeping pin in
    Thanks for the tip, what a simple solution!
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

There are numerous YouTube videos that show how to change the strings on every type of bridge that are on ukuleles.

I highly recommend the gotaukulele.com site run by Barry Maz. It is aimed specifically at beginners and has a video blog that demonstrates how to change strings. The site is also crammed with tips and information for beginners. Plus he has ukulele reviews almost every week that are closely followed by players around the world.

Gordon from MyaMoe ukulels has a video about stringing ukuleles that is, well it really appeals to players with OCD. But I guarantee your strings won't slip if you use his technique.

The more you change strings, the easier it becomes. I recommend using a string winder, cost about $2, to unwind your strings. But I use my fingers to wind them.

Good luck. You can do it!

There is no video for 8 hole tie bridges....but...I used a Classical guitar restringing tutorial and it worked!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    There are numerous YouTube videos that show how to change the strings on every type of bridge that are on ukuleles.

I highly recommend the gotaukulele.com site run by Barry Maz. It is aimed specifically at beginners and has a video blog that demonstrates how to change strings. The site is also crammed with tips and information for beginners. Plus he has ukulele reviews almost every week that are closely followed by players around the world.

Gordon from MyaMoe ukulels has a video about stringing ukuleles that is, well it really appeals to players with OCD. But I guarantee your strings won't slip if you use his technique.

The more you change strings, the easier it becomes. I recommend using a string winder, cost about $2, to unwind your strings. But I use my fingers to wind them.

Good luck. You can do it!
    Thanks for this information Ken, much appreciated
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

Thread Information