Crack repair

John Colter

It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it
UU VIP
Reaction score
I needed to fit a some patches inside a badly cracked soprano. The first two, near the sound hole, were easy enough, but my fingers won't reach down to near the bridge, so I pulled a glued patch into place using a knotted string, and an old strap button. I'll fill the hole with a tiny rod of mahogany.

Timms 'Island' style soprano.jpg

It worked rather well.

John Colter

Last edited:
This technique seems to work with cleats, bridges and I can picture a loop securing a brace. This makes the rescuke table much easier. Many thanks Dave AKA spongelke.

I got the idea from a post by mikeyb2 in the thread about an alternative bridge clamping device. That's what makes a forum like this so valuable and interesting.

John Colter.

I've put cleats in using magnets , works great , no holes.

I did just that with the first two cleats, Pete, but this one was too far from the sound hole, and I wanted the cleat to be partially under the bridge, so no room to position a magnet on the outer surface. Neodymium magnets are scarily powerful and difficult to manage in a confined space. If only you could switch 'em on and off!

John Colter.

Cool. I was once fixing a crack in an inexpensive instrument. I don’t generally do repairs, so I don’t have all the gear. I wanted to keep the top in place when I glued it, so I inflated a ballon inside.

Better to use a .010" steel string...then the hole is only a little bigger then .010"- that hole you drilled looks about 1/8"?

It was a 2mm hole, but point taken - the smaller, the better.

John Colter.

For that type of crack repair you might use a butt joint.

John Colter.

Top Bottom