KLIQ Ubertuner

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I have been able to purchase a few on sale over the past few months. Same scenario, one at a time.
I am quite pleased with them, the have been replacing my Snarks.

I have been able to purchase a few on sale over the past few months. Same scenario, one at a time.
I am quite pleased with them, the have been replacing my Snarks.

I had to search in the garbage for the battery. It was still snapped into the plastic packing material. Most tuners have the batteries installed, with a thin piece of plastic acting as insulation.

The KLIQ is on my Wish List, so camelcamelcamel will tell me when it goes on sale again.

I have a KLIQ. I find them much slower to turn on and boot-up to be ready to use. And a fairly long time to turn off. I find their accuracy to be about the same. And the KLIQ is a touch more resistant to ambient sound vibrations.

I don't take my Peterson Strobo Clip-on out of the house. It is more accurate than any other tuner I have tried. (And more expensive.)

I have a KLIQ. I find them much slower to turn on and boot-up to be ready to use. And a fairly long time to turn off. I find their accuracy to be about the same. And the KLIQ is a touch more resistant to ambient sound vibrations.

I don't take my Peterson Strobo Clip-on out of the house. It is more accurate than any other tuner I have tried. (And more expensive.)

Yes, it's not instant-on. I have to hold the button for a few seconds for on and off. The text of the instructions is so small that I haven't read them yet. I have to find a magnifying glass. The same goes for the three buttons on the side. I figured the silver one was for power. I'm guessing the other two are UP and DOWN for fine tuning.

This wasn't a life-changing event, but for the price, it's another nice tuner to have on hand.

Yes, it's not instant-on. I have to hold the button for a few seconds for on and off. The text of the instructions is so small that I haven't read them yet. I have to find a magnifying glass. The same goes for the three buttons on the side. I figured the silver one was for power. I'm guessing the other two are UP and DOWN for fine tuning.

This wasn't a life-changing event, but for the price, it's another nice tuner to have on hand.

Agreed- I like mine. Blackbird was promoting them on their site, that's how I came to have one.

Agree with all - I also like mine.

I will say that after using mine for a few weeks I shunned the "Ukulele" mode in favor of the "Chromatic" mode. The "Ukulele" mode is looking to compare the vibration to the nearest G, C, E or A frequency. This causes it to jump around particularly as you're re-tuning after a string change. I like how the "Chromatic" mode tells me exactly what note the string is playing regardless of what string I pluck.

What makes this tuner so special?

What makes this tuner so special?

I don't know that it is so special, and I certainly wouldn't pay the list price, but it is very sensitive, and I like that big center circle that lights up when it is in tune. I put the strings back on a uke last night after replacing the tuners, and I could not get the electronic tuner to register the G string. I forget what tuner I was using. I put the Kliq on the uke, and it picked up the G right away.

I just picked up a Kliq from of the lightning deal. I like it, but not for the uke

The good:
  • The Kliq Ubertuner has a really big, bright, and readable display.
  • It detects pretty quickly.
  • It's accurate to my ear (low bar).
  • It managed (barely) the low E string on the bass, and is only the second clip-on tuner I've tried (after the Peterson Stroboclip HD) that's worked well without octaving up.
The bad:
  • The Kliq's a monster. The clip (without the actual tuner) is bigger than most of my other tuners. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to the Kliq.

It's not so bad on the bass, but it really overwhelms the ukulele, especially the ones with smaller head-stocks. I don't think it's heavy enough to actually unbalance anything, but psychologically and aesthetically it feels really big.