left hand technique for upper frets

ripock

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to start practicing in earnest my upper five frets (for me, thats 15-19). I was wondering if any of the ukulele teachers here could point me towards what's orthodox in fingering.

Here's the question. When I play a scale on the 4th fret, I use all four fingers. When I play the same scale an octave higher on the 16th fret, I use just my index and middle fingers since things are a bit squishier up there. So, what's the standard technique? Do accomplished players maintain the same technique regardless or is it a matter of doing whatever you want?

Maintain the same technique on the upper frets and you will get used to the small distance between the frets.

Remember that if you Barre all the strings at the 12th fret you have gCEA or GCEA (depending on having a low or high G string) but the notes are an octave higher.

Its also good to say the notes out loud, this helps in learning where the notes are on the fretboard as its easy just to learn a pattern, or at least that is the way I was taught to play the guitar.

I agree with what Col. says if you plan on playing on those frets very much. For the most part you only need to use the first 3 fingers but the pinkie comes in handy at times so worth it to learn using all four. Personally I wouldn't spend too much time working with those frets on a uke, they are of limited use. Last time I remember using any of them was learning the solo from Paranoid where I needed a high E.

John

I just don't care about that 4 finger 4 frets thing. So my suggestion is what ever suits you on those over normally body frets will be fine. Even if just a single finger to hit the right octave etc. note. :)

I agree with Jarmo but my book recommends Col, because it is scale lesson. It says that it is especially good for ring and pinky.

thanks everyone. I think I have decided to do it both ways. Use all my fingers when I am playing my ukulele with the cutaway and use my first two fingers when I am reaching over the upper bout of my Kamaka.

Top Bottom