How to scales

moskitrompi

Reaction score
Hi! Im new here in the forum, and I'm wondering how many note i have to play to do a scale, When I play it on the guitar I have to play 3 notes for each string, can you help me? Thanks!

Hi, moskitrompi!

Yes, same as guitar. Index finger press first fret, middle is second, ring is third and pinky is fourth fret.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, but i mean, how many notes for each string i have to play to make one scale. Sorry for my poor english.

Scales are ordered sequences of pitches. They can be mapped to the fretboard as a specified number of notes per string (each scale type then has a certain shape for each mode), but there are many other ways to map scales to the 'ukulele fretboard:

1) play the scale on a single string;
2) play two or three notes of the scale per string;
3) incorporate the reentrant string into the scale;
4) play 2 octaves of the same scale (this will generally offer many options for choosing when to change positions)
....and so on.....

1) emphasizes fretboard knowledge, 2) improves position playing, 3) provides more campanella and fingerpicking options, and 4) is good for practicing position changes. There are many, many other approaches to scales, but this is a starting place.

Top Bottom