Fingerpicking question

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm just starting fingerpicking and I've learned the Travis Pick and a few other patterns.

What I seem to be doing without really trying is starting the pattern over at the chord changes rather than just keeping the consistent pattern and letting the chord changes fall where they may. Is this "wrong" or less than ideal? As I said, I seem to be doing this naturally and it sounds pretty good but I have a lurking suspicion that I should be training left and right hands to operate independently.

Just keep it musical to yourself, my advice. Strumming is easy. And rewarding.

It is just I saw and not really that late some guy posting about fingerpcking, and every note, and I mean every note he could get from that box, it was plucked out. None gentle fingerpicking, it was plain ugly.

I won't give links. Links the youtube posters will have anyways.

Just my question was after that video, and it was I think posted in an educational aim. So that fail me.

There is no "wrong" if it sounds good to you. Depending on the specific piece and timing and chord voicings keeping the picking pattern consistent or resetting may be better. For getting started keep it simple, keep it accurate, and work on improving one thing at a time.

Long term you should train yourself to operate independently so you can choose which way to go. Ultimately, you'll get the best results when you can deliberately choose your picking pattern, transitions, chord voicings, etc. rather than always using default settings.

I didnt know that there was a "the" travis pick.
Perhaps I saw the wrong videos, I thought there many variations.

I am not sure exactly what it is you say you are doing.
Are you altering the chord changes or the picking?

You can always make your own interpretation of a song.
But if you want to learn to play popular songs so people recognize them and possibly play along, I suggest that you make sure the chord changes are with the right timing.
Then mess around with the picking and strumming and combinations of those just the way it works for you.

The goal is not to pick the exact same pattern as others, but to make you own variations.

Last edited:
Arpeggio Meditations for 'Ukulele by Daniel Ward is killer. Great way to stay on track and practice musically.

There is no "wrong" if it sounds good to you. Depending on the specific piece and timing and chord voicings keeping the picking pattern consistent or resetting may be better. For getting started keep it simple, keep it accurate, and work on improving one thing at a time.

Thanks, that was very helpful.

+1 for the Daniel Ward book. I have been using it for about a year and the exercises are great.

You will develop hand independence as you practice. Ideally you should be a master of the pattern you play with your right hand. If restarting the pattern every chord change is not pleasing you, practice a bit more and eventually you'll be able to keep it going.

Ukulele Aerobics by Chad Johnson is quite good. It is set up with a series of exercises in 40, one week sections. It includes a day of finger-picking a week, but more if you practice the scales and finger-pick some of the riffs. IMO it is not an easy book after the first 6-8 weeks. Some of the material gets tough quickly. But, it is very helpful book for developing technique and expanding your skill set. If you do use it, make sure to listen to the sound snippets to hear the riffs played, otherwise it is tough to get the emphasis in the right places.

Personally, I learned over the years by listening and just playing what the music seems to call for.

What exactly do you mean by "Travis picking"?

Travis picking gets used as an overall expression for any picking pattern that uses alternative bass note picking and as such I'm a Travis picker. Mind you it can also fit under the encompassing description of Piedmont picking as well.

My understanding is that the basis of Merle Travis's picking is that he would alternatively pick a bass note with his thumb while lightly palm dampening the strings at the bridge and NEVER stop. That's Travis picking. Beyond that there is nothing specific about a Travis picking pattern.

It can be anything you want and be as long or short as you want.
Its not a specific one bar, two bar or 4 bar pattern.

Last edited:
+1 for the Daniel Ward book. I have been using it for about a year and the exercises are great.

You will develop hand independence as you practice. Ideally you should be a master of the pattern you play with your right hand. If restarting the pattern every chord change is not pleasing you, practice a bit more and eventually you'll be able to keep it going.

Thanks. I'm playing mostly a low "g" ukulele and restarting the pattern seems to sound better. I posted the question because I'm self taught and like to try to not do things most experts consider "wrong".

What exactly do you mean by "Travis picking"?

I'm new at this but was referencing videos like those of Mike Lynch on Travis Picking
He presents a basic picking pattern (GACE) and then some variations on that pattern. There are many other similar tutorials on line so if the term Travis picking upsets you, you've got a lot of work to do.

Thanks. I'm playing mostly a low "g" ukulele and restarting the pattern seems to sound better. I posted the question because I'm self taught and like to try to not do things most experts consider "wrong".

Many "experts" do things that other "experts" consider "wrong". Play what feels/ sounds good to you.

For years, I was told that the way I played both banjo and guitar was "drop-thumb frailing". I was also told that "frailing" and "claw-hammer" are the same thing. Or that they are not. Or that I don't frail, I play Travis-style. Or that I play Mother Maybelle-style. I play ukulele the same way, whatever that is.

When I finger-pick, I do whatever I hear in my head. I don't read standard notation or tabulature, and have enough connective tissue/nerve problems with my right shoulder/elbow/and wrist that I will never be able to consciously do a Formby Strum. So I just play. And have fun doing it.

I encourage you to do the same.

I'm new at this but was referencing videos like those of Mike Lynch on Travis Picking
He presents a basic picking pattern (GACE) and then some variations on that pattern. There are many other similar tutorials on line so if the term Travis picking upsets you, you've got a lot of work to do.

Like I said,"Travis picking" gets used as an overall term for anything with an alternative string bass note picking. It could also be called Piedmont picking.
Mike Lynch is a good teacher, however in that video its more accurate to call it Piedmont picking than Travis picking. He isn't damping the strings at all which is kind of fundamental to "Travis Picking".

Lets go to the source,

Things to note. Merle Travis is using a thumb with a pick and ONE finger only. Note that his palm is lightly on the strings near the bridge to dampen the bass notes and reduce the sustain.
If you want Travis picking, then this is Travis picking.

Nothing wrong with what Mike Lynch is teaching per-say. Its just about being clear about what you are talking about and lets just enjoy playing.

Last edited:
And to answer part of your original question. Yes, doing exercises to develop some independence between your hands is a good thing if your prepared to put in the practice. Developing independence between the fingers of your picking hand is a good thing if your willing to put in the practice time.

Top Bottom