L.R. Baggs 5.0 producing uneven volume on tenor

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
Okay, I thought I was done pestering y'all...

I chose to go with the 5.0 for this my first instrument as I understood that it produces pretty natural tone. I immediately saw that (heard...) to be so.

The lower two strings are strong but the E and A come in weaker. I checked with a music store tech and he finally came to feel that the pickup itself may be faulty -my install was fine. (saddle looked good and flat and I routed the slot and feel it was good.)

He wondered about the 6-7 degree back-lean to the saddle (and the slot in the bridge) and I quickly blamed Beau Hannam ;). Not sure I understood his concerns but I don't know enough to defend that concept when problem-solving this issue.

Anybody got any tips?

Thanks, again!

Chuck Barnett

Attachments

• tenor ukulele.jpg
    tenor ukulele.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 19
This is almost always caused by uneven downward pressure as in that saddle isn't resting perfectly on that pickup. Take the saddle out and very gently tap the pickup with a small object along it's length. What you will likely find is the pickup is fine.
Then with your strings on tap next to the strings with the back side or an exata knife or some such object. If you have uneven sound with the taping you know your saddle is not resting evenly on the pickup.

Your saddle is likely not sitting perfectly on that pickup for a reason I can't see from here. Maybe it's tilted forward too far, too thight in the slot, the bottom of your bridge is slightly warped etc.
There is very very little room for error with the undersaddle pickups, very little. It can be a real bear to unwind the problem. I have had to level the bottom of the slot more than once on ukes people bring me and at times custom file the bottom of the saddle to quiet a string or liven another.

Most ot the time it is bam bam zip 15 minutes but sometimes it's hours of tail chasing to get perfectly even string response.

Last edited:
Top Bottom