Just Wondering...

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
Which of the following two scenarios results in a greater amount of string tension?

a) a soprano-scale uke strung with Martin M-600's one-half step higher than "standard" tuning (in other words, tuned to g# C# F A#); or

b) a "long-neck" (concert-scale) soprano uke strung with Martin M-600's in "standard" tuning (g C E A).

Thanks!

LOL.
Alright , Bill, is this a real question or an acedemic exercise?

I'm sure there's gotta be a formula that Booli or some other uke nerd can figure out...

If they are the same strings, then I'd say the soprano will need greater tension to get the higher notes. :)

Edit: I use the exact same strings, (Living Water low G concert strings), on long neck soprano, concert, & long neck concert & the tension is pretty much the same on them all, tuned to G C E A.

Last edited:
Hi, Bill!

I use Da'ddario EJ88S Nyletech instead of Martin M-600 in this comparison on string tension pro site. See the both string gauges are same (See the figure). Results are shown below.

Long neck standard tuning is higher than soprano one-half up tuning.

Interesting question that of yours Bill.

I do have a soprano and concert ukes stringed both with Martin M600 strings. But I won't go tune a whole tune up my TUS-50 flight uke, even though the strings are kind of floppy sideways and I need be careful. You are tempting me though, hehe. The open A string sounds very loud, so tuning up a step could bring it like the rest of the strings in volume, maybe. I don't like to be tuned in D and then all the chords I play are different. Enough problems with DGBE stuff :)

My question is are the Martin strings thicker than most other fluorocarbon strings. If they are all fishing lines, what we should care except their thickness? If all else is being just marketing.

If I recall correctly, a concert is usually about two frets longer in scale than a soprano. If you put a capo on fret 2, you get ADF#B. The soprano in your example is tuned a half step lower than that, so I reckon the answer to your question is b).

LOL.
Alright , Bill, is this a real question or an acedemic exercise?

I'm sure there's gotta be a formula that Booli or some other uke nerd can figure out...

Hahahahaha! Okay, I agree that my question is a little off-the-wall !! And thanks to all, for the thoughtful responses! Upon further reflection, I might re-phrase the question to clarify "where I'm coming from", so please allow me to pose it this way: Assuming the same set of strings is being used in each instance, which uke will most likely have a "tighter" feel when I play it-- the soprano scale uke tuned a half step up, or the (longer) concert scale uke tuned in standard? Or... is it possible that the "feel" would be about the same for each?

Now you're talking! If the action is roughly the same on each, then I reckon you won't notice much difference in that scenario. Although the string tension on the longneck will be higher, the ratio between the action and scale length will be lower, which will make it feel that little bit lighter.

I'm always thinking things like "If I put baritone strings on a tenor, could I tune it that little bit lower without the strings feeling floopy?"

Now you're talking! If the action is roughly the same on each, then I reckon you won't notice much difference in that scenario. Although the string tension on the longneck will be higher, the ratio between the action and scale length will be lower, which will make it feel that little bit lighter.

I'm always thinking things like "If I put baritone strings on a tenor, could I tune it that little bit lower without the strings feeling floopy?"

Thanks, Jim! Yes, I tend to wonder about stuff like that too! And your observation about the "action" factoring into the equation never dawned on me!

From there you can get the formula between string tension T, length L and frequency f
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_vibration

And from there you can get the frequencies in Hz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_key_frequencies

Needs some work to get T out of the equation, to be able to calculate it's values. I'm a bit hangover from yesterday, so I leave that to some of you if really wanting to make explicit calculations based on real scale lengths etc. values :)

EDIT:
It is best to calculate the ratio T1/T2 that is dependent of the ratio L1/L2 and also f1/f2. The linear density is not then needed to give any fake value.

Last edited:
Tracie, Keith, Tush, and Jarmo, thank you for your responses too !! Everyone have a good upcoming week !!

Top Bottom