white spots on Pono MC solid mahogany ukulele wood

rontel

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need help here.

I haven't played my ukulele (a Pono MC) for around a month and when i was about to play it, i was shocked cos there are lots of white spots on the back and sides wood. It was stored in its soft case while not being played. The problem is the white spots are irremovable as i have tried cleaning it with oil.

It doesn't affect the sound but cosmetically it looks very ugly :( It looks like my ukulele has got a skin disease. If anyone knows the solution to this, please help me.

P.S.: photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_162537.jpg
    IMG_20190406_162537.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 69
I've kept my Pono MT-E in a Crazy Uke poly foam for 6 or 7 years and it looks like new. However, I own two guitars with large milky white spots in the finish where they came in heavy contact with the case, e.g., back, sides and where the neck was cradled. I suspect it was a chemical reaction between the finish and case materials. I tossed the cases involved and the guitars didn't get any worse in their new cases but they look ugly (much worse than yours). The milky white spots don't polish out.

will sanding it solve the problem?

aah, I see. Would it be okay to sand it and get rid of those white milky spots? I can't stand it T.T

I think Peter might be right about the contact between the wood and your soft case. Could be a chemical reaction, like he mentioned, but perhaps we should also consider mold? Has the gigbag been wet or exposed to high humidity? A humidifier that spilled some water, or over-humidification? Another possibility would be humidity or sweat from your body that hasn't dried off after the last time you played.

Looking at the spots where the white spots appeared I think it could be the sweat that hasn't dried off. But if it is mold, i think it should be easily removable?

You mentioned trying to remove the spots using oil.... Did you use any oil or polishes on the uke before putting it away for a month or so? I can easily imagine a finish reacting to some oil or polish while stored in its case that long.

Can't be sure, but I have had luck removing some spots with 0000 steel wool and/or Flitz plastic polish or Auto scratch and haze remover. I now usually use Stewmac's fine abrasive polish or their swirl remover. I use cotton t-shirt material. I'm thinking what Rakalele said.

since it's a satin finish, be aware that polishes will make it glossy. Have you tried a bit of naptha (Ronsonoil lighter fluid) on a clean cotton cloth? Stubborn materials stuck on the surface of the finish can often be removed safely with naptha. But honestly, those spotts look like they're etched in the finish or even below the finish.

True. Those spots look like they're underneath the finish so i'm thinking about sanding it and refinish it if probable. :(

Doesn't look like mold. And mold would wipe off for the most part.

It definitely looks like bubbles in the finish.

It definitely looks like bubbles in the finish.[/QUOTE said:
Yes. It does look like bubbles, but normal bubbles are not milky white, so these might be molds that grew underneath the finishing.

Should i take it to a luthier and do a refinishing?

Yes. It does look like bubbles, but normal bubbles are not milky white, so these might be molds that grew underneath the finishing.

Should i take it to a luthier and do a refinishing?

I've seen lots of mold. That does not look at all like mold to me. I have seen bubbles like that on older furniture and such that looks just like that. It's like the finish is releasing from the wood in those places so it gives it that appearance.

If you have a luthier near by, I'd say go get an expert opinion on it.

Having a luthier strip and refinish would likely cost as much as a new instrument. And it would change the sound.

Another important point has been brought up: Pono website mentions that their satin finish should not be treated with any oil or polish. As someone mentioned above, if you did oil your instrument previous to storing it away, this may well have caused some kind of reaction or change.

Top Bottom