Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele

deetee

Reaction score
I'm a beginner and would like to know...Does anyone play the Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele...how do you find it in terms of sound and playability?

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 15.54.14.jpg

I've played these in the shops, and found them to be a perfectly fine instrument for beginner to intermediate players. As a beginner, I think it's more important to be sure the tenor is the right size for you, as some of the chord finger stretches will be further apart. If you are a former guitar player, tenor will be perfect. If not, many recommend concert ukes for beginners instead. I'd also try a concert before you decide.

I have one, it's the only actual normal tenor uke I have, but I have several tenor scale ukes, with smaller bodies, & an electric steel string. ;)

It's a good uke, plays well, & has a nice tone - with decent strings - I didn't like the ones that came on it, (personal opinion). :)

(If you haven't played a stringed instrument before, I too, suggest starting with a concert scale.)

I have one, it's the only actual normal tenor uke I have, but I have several tenor scale ukes, with smaller bodies, & an electric steel string. ;)

It's a good uke, plays well, & has a nice tone - with decent strings - I didn't like the ones that came on it, (personal opinion). :)

(If you haven't played a stringed instrument before, I too, suggest starting with a concert scale.)

What strings did you replace them with. I've just ordered a set of Aquila Titanium.

I tried a concert and it was too small. Have played a bit of guitar. I bought the Kala...just wondering what others thought about them.

I have one but the TEME version which sounds great to my ears.

The Tenor scale works better for me than a Concert since it is far more confortable on the fretboard.

If in doubt go Tenor

Tried to have a look at those strings but it appears the website is suspended

http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk

Where are you? If you're in the US, Uke Republic sells them online. I'm not sure who markets them for Ken outside the US if he's no longer selling them on his own site.

There are other fluorocarbon strings: Martin, Worth, Fremont, D'Addario, others.

Before worrying about changing strings, I'd see if you're comfortable with tenor scale. If you've played a stringed instrument before, though, you'll know that in a hurry.

I can't really play a tenor or baritone because of the stretches, so it's soprano or concert only for me.

The KA-T is a good solid choice for a starter ukulele. Unless you get afflicted with UAS, you could be happy with it for years.

I wouldn't worry about changing the strings. The ones it comes with are fine and a good fit with that ukulele. Unless you really feel you have a dislike for them, enjoy playing it, and wait 6 months or more and then you'll appreciate the fresh new sound of whatever strings you put on it.

What strings did you replace them with. I've just ordered a set of Aquila Titanium.

I tried a concert and it was too small. Have played a bit of guitar. I bought the Kala...just wondering what others thought about them.[/QUOTEI]

I'm a lifelong guitar player, and found that tenor is too small for me. I've got a similar Kala tenor to the one you mentioned, and I can't play it beyond about the ninth or tenth fret because the frets are too close together. So I got myself a baritone that works great for me. And then I got another baritone, so I could keep them in two different tunings. And I'll probably get another....and another.....It is a great size instrument for guitarists.

Last edited:
Tenor seems fine for me. I've ordered a couple of sets of strings...I'll swap out the original ones after a while as suggested.

I have one and have only played it for about an hour in the year I've had it. Make sure you get it from a dealer who will set it up. It is almost unplayable from the factory. It's a fine instrument for a beginner though if it is set up.

I have one and have only played it for about an hour in the year I've had it. Make sure you get it from a dealer who will set it up. It is almost unplayable from the factory. It's a fine instrument for a beginner though if it is set up.

You must have gotten a bad one. I've tried these in a store and found them to be perfectly well set up. In fact all of the Kalas were really nicely setup with low action and great intonation.

Top Bottom