My Thoughts on Martin's Konter Replica

Its cool and interesting...if there was a cheaper mexican made version and the price of an mexican s1 plus 200 bucks I would buy one. How they came up with 2 grand beyond me. I got a beautiful martin ceo 7 oo adirondac top guitar for that.

Yeah, if it was near an S1 price point, I'd be tempted. I usually like fairly plain ukuleles, but this one appeals to me for the historical reference. The S1 is already around the top of my price range though so I'll have to admire it from afar.

I assume that some lucky soul(s) at Martin get to take the original Konter uke out of its glass case and play it occasionally. I wonder how it sounds, and how often they do that?

Glad to hear that it's a good instrument as well as an oddity. I've looked at it several times when thinking about buying another Uke. I just can't get past the cringe factor, that is, the idea of people scratching their names on one of my fine instruments. Just thinking about it gives me chills. I know its a replica of a famous Uke. But, knowing me, if I had been on that expedition, I would have returned with an unblemished instrument. Barring accidental damage, of course.

Glad to hear that it's a good instrument as well as an oddity. I've looked at it several times when thinking about buying another Uke. I just can't get past the cringe factor, that is, the idea of people scratching their names on one of my fine instruments. Just thinking about it gives me chills. I know its a replica of a famous Uke. But, knowing me, if I had been on that expedition, I would have returned with an unblemished instrument. Barring accidental damage, of course.

Same here.
I really wish Martin would start making American made Style-O's out of mahogany again.

Well, "never say never!" This thread got me thinking about the Konter again. Then, this morning the buyer showed up, and hauled my Harley away. It was time, I just turned 75 and the family thought I should stop riding. Then I saw the Konter offered on Reverb at a $300 discount. So, I went for it. A consolation for the loss of my bike. It gets shipped tomorrow, so I should have it by the end of the week. I think I'll keep it re-entrant. Most of my other Ukes are Low G. But, it wouldn't seem right to alter the string setup on the replica. I think I'll use it mostly for singing and playing tunes from the 1920s. The Byrd Expedition was in 1926, so I'm sure that's how Konter (Ukulele Dick) used it. Fascinating history there. I'm going to read up on it. Also ordered the book, "A Stowaway Ukulele Revealed: Richard Konter & The Byrd Polar Expeditions."

I guess I'll just have to get used to owning a 'defaced' Ukulele. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OK, the Konter arrived this evening. I've been playing it for the last hour or so. I must say, I am enchanted with it! Yes, it is something of an ugly duckling, what with all those signatures scrawled all over it. But, it's light as a feather, and plays like a dream. Once, I understood what a fine instrument it is, my edginess about its appearance started to diminish. It's one of those special Ukes that just seem to speed up my old fingers. The neck and fretboard are marvelous. The neck is 1 7/16 inch at the 1st fret. That's 1/16 inch wider than the Mainland Soprano I have with me. My fat fingers really notice the 'extra' room. The tone is bright, as a Soprano should be, but with a nice flavor to it. It has lots of volume. This one is a keeper!

OK, the Konter arrived this evening. I've been playing it for the last hour or so. I must say, I am enchanted with it! Yes, it is something of an ugly duckling, what with all those signatures scrawled all over it. But, it's light as a feather, and plays like a dream. Once, I understood what a fine instrument it is, my edginess about its appearance started to diminish. It's one of those special Ukes that just seem to speed up my old fingers. The neck and fretboard are marvelous. The neck is 1 7/16 inch at the 1st fret. That's 1/16 inch wider than the Mainland Soprano I have with me. My fat fingers really notice the 'extra' room. The tone is bright, as a Soprano should be, but with a nice flavor to it. It has lots of volume. This one is a keeper!

Congratulations! Sorry that you had to let the Harley go. Here's hoping the new "hog" ukulele fills the gap.

Congrats! I have one too and I'm working on my review.
- Petey

About the tone quality of the Konter, it's probably not for everyone. My wife, who's not a musician, noticed it at once. Her first remark was concerning a Spalted Maple Islander Soprano that I just got. She said it sounds lovely, "much better" than the "other one." I asked, and she clarified that she meant the Konter as "the other one." That got me to thinking and analyzing. The Konter has a special (peculiar) sound. I'd describe it as primitive or raw. Lots of volume, and a lot of high frequencies, with a tone color that reminds me of my Ohana VK-70 "Vita Uke." I really like the Konter's sound. But, my wife has heard me playing a wide variety of ukes, from Kamakas to Kalas, and she definitely prefers the darker, sweeter, mellower sound of a modern style ukulele. Petey, what do you think about the Konter tone quality?

I really like the Konter's sound. But, my wife has heard me playing a wide variety of ukes, from Kamakas to Kalas, and she definitely prefers the darker, sweeter, mellower sound of a modern style ukulele. Petey, what do you think about the Konter tone quality?

Hi VegasG!

You have very good things to say. Kudos, bro. My ex-girlfriend (now still my good friend) heard all my new Martin ukes at her house and I still stay at her place on weekends here and there and, as she is a non-musician, but her ears always perked up ALL THE TIME when I played my new Martin 2K tenor uke. She just loved it. So, trust your wife's aural instincts!!! Yes, my friend prefers my Martin 2K tenor. hehe

For a soprano uke, the Konter sounds best when played softly with finger-picking with chords as I will show with a tango song "Por una Cabeza" in my soon review. I want to play songs from the 1920s when the uke was produced. I will also sing "Tip Toe Thru the Tulips." It's a 1929 song.

I prefer the sound of my new Martin 3 cherry soprano and my new Martin style 2 soprano. However... the Konter uke is amazing and has its own texture of sound. It works best when not STRUMMING LOUDLY and just playing chord and notes softly and really excels. I will show more in my vid review. cheers. Petey

BTW: Do do grow keylimes in Texas? Keylimes are in my top 10 things of all time. Hard to get in Canada. adios

Last edited:
I agree with Petey about playing "softly" on the Konter. It has lots of volume, and nails or picks would be a bit over the top. Of course, in a band that big, cut through sound would be an advantage. Think before electronic amplification, when acoustic instruments had to project their own voice, or get lost in background. That's why resonators were invented, and the Konter is somehow a bit like that. It's loud.

PS: Texas Key Limes, yes indeed! We grow those little honeys here in central Texas, and around the gulf coast. They are mostly grown in Florida, however, and named for the Florida Keys. Here they are probably better called by their other name, "Mexican Limes." Gotta love those Key Limes!!!

Last edited:
Perhaps a different choice of strings would round that sound out a little.

EDW, you know, I thought about that too. But, Martin ships it with their Fluorocarbon strings, and I suppose they think it most closely mimics the sound of the original. I hope that's why, anyway. So for now, I'm going to keep the strings and just appreciate the unique sound. As I said, I like the sound. It's just different.

Top Bottom