Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts on Martin's Konter Replica

I wonder if the original Konter uke is a basketcase of cracks, due to low humidity at the Pole, or perhaps, even back then, they knew enough to humidity?
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 04-07-2019 at 04:21 AM.
    John

Also, was the original made of koa? And what did Mr. Konter use for signing the autographs? They held up well, I wonder if he actually played it, or just dragged it around everywhere he went.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I wonder if the original Konter uke is a basketcase of cracks, due to low humidity at the Pole, or perhaps, even back then, they knew enough to humidity?
    The whole flight to and from the pole was just under 16 hours, so any humidity damage would likely be from other episodes in its life.

Apparently it took some effort to read the signatures:

https://www.si.edu/MCIImagingStudio/KonterUke
    Glenn

That's an interesting bit of history. And even better, it's a ukulele that you sound like you're really enjoying. Very cool.

Glennerd, thanks for the link to the article. Fascinating.

I'm afraid I would probably spend $45 for the book and use the remaining $1955 to buy a different ukulele. While it's interesting, and yes it may increase in value in 50 years, it's just too gimmicky for me. Sort of like buying a commemorative baseball with the printed signatures on it of the players in the game.

Plus, I think I would be less likely to play it for fear of somehow damaging it. Speaking of which, I wonder how it sounds?

I'm not criticizing anyone who buys one. To each their own. It's just not for me.

Its cool and interesting...if there was a cheaper mexican made version and the price of an mexican s1 plus 200 bucks I would buy one. How they came up with 2 grand beyond me. I got a beautiful martin ceo 7 oo adirondac top guitar for that.
    Last edited by uketanzon; 04-07-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Koaloha Opio Acacia Longneck Soprano
    Martin IZ commemorative Tenor
    Loprinzi cherry wood tenor
    The Duke Banjo
    personal build koa and maple concert
    personal build walnut and spruce tenor
    personal built box uke, black limba, cedar & maple

Now come on Kenn2018 and uketanzon, we can't take it with us so we might as well enjoy it while we can.

Seriously, this isn't for everyone obviously. However, I'll attest it is really more than a novelty. The look with all the signatures would also only appeal to certain people. However, Martin got a lot right with this ukulele. It harkens back to the vintage Style 0, Style 1 and Style 2's with a 12 fret fingerboard and what I believe attributes positively to the sound. I'll go on record and state this is the ukulele in my collection that sounds most vintage and has such a nice response. Of my Martin soprano's, this one is my favorite and sounds best to me.

Also, if you shop around, you can find these from reputable dealers at 40% off MSRP. But, to each their own and that's why they make so many ukuleles in different styles, different makers, different woods and also at different price points.

Jim
    Last edited by Ragtop232; 04-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Current Ukuleles:
    2007 Martin Style 3K Soprano
    2009 Bean Sprout Banjolele
    2011 Martin Style 2K Soprano
    2017 Martin Style 3K Custom Tenor
    2018 Martin Style 3K Custom Concert
    2019 Martin Style 3K Custom Soprano
    2018 Martin Style 3 Centennial #2230085
    2018 Martin 1T IZ Tenor (#576)
    2018 Martin S1
    2018 Martin Konter Replica
    2018 Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple

I'd like to hear it stacked up against a vintage Style 0 of the same era; that would be a cool comparison.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop232 View Post
    Now come on Kenn2018 and uketanzon, we can't take it with us so we might as well enjoy it while we can.

Seriously, this isn't for everyone obviously. However, I'll attest it is really more than a novelty. The look with all the signatures would also only appeal to certain people. However, Martin got a lot right with this ukulele. It harkens back to the vintage Style 0, Style 1 and Style 2's with a 12 fret fingerboard and what I believe attributes positively to the sound. I'll go on record and state this is the ukulele in my collection that sounds most vintage and has such a nice response. Of my Martin soprano's, this one is my favorite and sounds best to me.

Also, if you shop around, you can find these from reputable dealers at 40% off MSRP. But, to each their own and that's why they make so many ukuleles in different styles, woods and also at different price points.

Jim
    I guess your right, no challenge...I have read about every book on kindle about the great turn of the century artic explorations, north and south, american , british, and others that met with mostly disaster and some with success...a topic that just always interested me, so yea, I would love to have one, and if I was married to Steve Bezos and got a 36 billion dollar divorce settlement, I would buy one for every member of the forum! It always awed me, you take a few pieces of wood, some metal tuners, some luthier expertise and you can produce a kala soprano for $50 bucks or you can opt for a martin 5 k for $5000. Wearing my two hearing aids now, I probaly would not hear a big difference anymore...,ha
    Koaloha Opio Acacia Longneck Soprano
    Martin IZ commemorative Tenor
    Loprinzi cherry wood tenor
    The Duke Banjo
    personal build koa and maple concert
    personal build walnut and spruce tenor
    personal built box uke, black limba, cedar & maple

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop232 View Post
    ...I'll attest it is really more than a novelty. The look with all the signatures would also only appeal to certain people. However, Martin got a lot right with this ukulele. It harkens back to the vintage Style 0, Style 1 and Style 2's with a 12 fret fingerboard and what I believe attributes positively to the sound. I'll go on record and state this is the ukulele in my collection that sounds most vintage and has such a nice response. Of my Martin soprano's, this one is my favorite and sounds best to me.
    Jim, I am honestly glad to hear that the ukulele plays and sounds great. That the sound is very similar to a vintage soprano Martin.

If it pleases you, then it is a deal. 'Nuf said.

Thread Information