Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Goldilocks" Strap?

Default "Goldilocks" Strap?

There was some humorous discussion some weeks ago about looking for the "Goldilocks" brand strap that someone mentioned in passing. In the end it turned out that the term was just being used to describe the perfect strap for that player - not too wide, not to narrow, just right. Straps are much like strings, in that everyone has their own opinion as to which is best. For me I decided that the perfect width was 1.5" - anything wider looked silly, and anything more narrow could dig in to the shoulder. I also like my straps to have some friction to help prevent neck dive. Which led me to prefer a 1.5" wide cotton strap for my ukes.

Unfortunately these can be hard to find. Kala does make one, but it usually seems to have an ugly "Uke Crazy" logo embroidered upon it.

[

But looking at the Klos site a couple of days ago I noticed that they offer a "Premium Ukulele Strap" that fits the bill perfectly. A nice brown 1.5" cotton strap with soft leather strap ends.

https://klosguitars.com/products/klo...-ukulele-strap

Just got mine in the mail today, and am quite impressed. At $25 I think it's overpriced, but what isn't these days. Anyway, if you too like using cotton straps on your ukes, this is about the nicest I have found.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Like you, I prefer plain cotton straps., so thanks for the heads up about the KLOS strap.
    Jan D
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)
    UKES LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME:
    *Ohana TK-35CG (mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    *Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)

Hi Besley, thanks for sharing your discovery of the Klos cotton strap. Now that you have had it for a few days is it still impressing you. A not slip strap is very important to me and if this one does it I would gladly spend the money. Lord know I have spent more on fancy strap that did slip
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I like unlined whole grain leather straps. For non-slip, flip them smooth side out. For slip, flip them smooth side in.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I like unlined whole grain leather straps. For non-slip, flip them smooth side out. For slip, flip them smooth side in.
    So one could basically start with a high quality leather belt of appropriate length and modify it into a strap? Enlarge the existing holes and add a small cut to each to make it adjustable on the bottom end. Cut the buckle off, shape that end, and add some string to tie to the headstock. I never would have thought of using leather for the entire strap... I may have to go digging at the second hand stores for cheap old belts. Now I’m actually warming up to the idea of repurposing old belts that have acquired character over the years. A strap like that would pair great with the pallet uke from the zombie thread that was just revived.

I have a black full grain belt that survived me totaling my motorcycle that has some road rash as evidence of the incident. When its days holding up my pants are done, I know exactly what I’m going to do with it.
    Last edited by SpaceForRent; 04-12-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: corrected grammar

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceForRent View Post
    So one could basically start with a high quality leather belt of appropriate length and modify it into a strap? Enlarge the existing holes and add a small cut to each to make it adjustable on the bottom end. Cut the buckle off, shape that end, and add some string to tie to the headstock. I never would have thought of using leather for the entire strap... I may have to go digging at the second hand stores for cheap old belts. Now I’m actually warming up to the idea of repurposing old belts that have acquired character over the years. A strap like that would pair great with the pallet uke from the zombie thread that was just revived.

I have a black full grain belt that survived me totaling my motorcycle that has some road rash as evidence of the incident. When it’s days holding up my pants are done, I know exactly what I’m going to do with it.
    Yes, you could repurpose a belt. I cut my own from a nice, soft half hide that I have. Belt leather is often quite a bit thicker, heavier, and stiffer but if you check the thrift shops it wouldn't take too long to find something that would work well.

IMG_20190317_090358_hdr.jpg
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Those types of leather straps are the ones I have on my guitars. They work great, need to find 1-1/2" width for ukes
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Hi Besley, thanks for sharing your discovery of the Klos cotton strap. Now that you have had it for a few days is it still impressing you. A not slip strap is very important to me and if this one does it I would gladly spend the money. Lord know I have spent more on fancy strap that did slip
    Used it in a jam today and it worked just fine, with no slipping on a cotton shirt. It probably won't be as slip resistant as a suede leather strap, but I really like the adjustability of this type of design.
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor

If you like a 1.5" wide leather strap, Levy makes a nice one that is suede on one side and smooth on the other. Good price too (~$13), but I get frustrated trying to get the length just right.

https://www.levysleathers.com/produc...strap-m70-brn/

https://reverb.com/item/2145569-levy...8-to-53-walnut

Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor

I'm glad to hear good feedback on our straps! We've designed our straps to be of premium quality, durability, and convenience. Time and care goes into everything KLŌS makes!
    BP Morgan
    Marketing Associate
    Email
    KLOS Guitars
    https://klosguitars.com

Thread Information