If You Could Buy Any Ukulele

I always think of buying ukulele is the same as driving a car. Any car can get you from point A to point B. Why not buy one that has the best handling and gives you the smoothest ride. I have heard people say spend your money on lessons, play it well instead of buying pricey instruments . I disagreed !! If you have a good instrument, wouldn't you be spending a lot more time playing and perfecting your skill?

I would definitely add a third LFdM to my collection !!! :D

I take back my previous choice. If I could get my hands on a new Ken Timms style 0 and someone was writing the cheque, good enough for me. Maybe even if someone wasn't writing the cheque.

If I were handed a blank check that had to be used to purchase an ukulele, I suppose I would choose something altogether different from what I already have, as in more exotic... say, a harp ukulele, or a grand tenor, or even an 8-string... I'm not sure. But I know it wouldn't be simply a more expensive model of tenor or baritone, as I am content with those I have.

I'm not of the opinion that more expensive is necessarily better or more satisfying. To me, instruments are tools for making music, and I form my opinions of them based on my ears, not the price tag. Case in point, as I mainly play the viola - I adore my everyday player viola, which also happens to be the least expensive of the three I've played professionally over the years. I was just fortunate to find it where and how I did, and we were "meant for each other". I sold a viola that I paid five times more for.

I like the vehicle analogy as well. And I would not trade my 2000 Ford Ranger for anything. I've driven it long distance many times, it's reliable, comfortable, and has all of the features I want - a stick shift, cold air, a regular sized spare tire, and absolutely no computerized or electronic anything! :)

bratsche

For DownupDave
I hope all goes well with your operation. Let us know how it goes. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
You mean you don't like/ want a vehicle whose problems cannot be diagnosed unless they "recreate" the issue? I am befuddled. BTW, I hope it never gets in an accident. My beautiful, Ltd, Ed. Jeep was totaled by a fool. It seems wrong that liability ends at the current value, even if all you want is your car back and you weren't at fault.

Not that I am looking to fuel my UAS, but...

If I could buy any uke, no questions asked and no issue with cost, I think it would be a aNueNue Moonbird concert. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about them and I love the aesthetics.

This uke is so pretty that I won’t care even if it does not sound as nice, which I’m sure it sounds amazing as well. But the price tag... so if I could buy any uke, this is the one for me.

Dear God, that thing is gorgeous. I'm not usually one to go gaga over the look of an instrument, either.

$7,800 though? That's a really steep price tag. I guess that's why it gets brought up in this game...

Me, I rather have the private lessons that get me moving on a better practice path. THEN I'll go after the fancy uke. Right now I'm really happy with my Kala solid cedar top with low g string.

Hm . . . I would like a concert ukulele made out of Redwood . . .

I already have a custom Beau Hannam so my next dream Uke would be Mo Bettah by Chuck Moore hands down,

Well, my dream is coming true! I've commissioned a one of a kind design by Donna LoPrinzi. I can't imagine needing a more special uke than that.

Compared to other consumer goods and services I find ukuleles and guitars very affordable and life is too short not to play what you dream off as long as it does not take quality of life away from you and your loved ones. As a result I now own many more and much better instruments than I actually ever dreamed of. And although they are way beyond my skill and talent level I do believe that they make me a better player. Don't let a price tag stand between you and a great uke!

I totally agree with this remark. If I had stuck with the first Uke I purchased I would have never continued playing the Uke. It hurt my ears and my soul to play an instrument that made me cringe every time I played it. Playing the instruments I have now and in the recent past has encouraged me to play more and even be engaged in ‘formal’ music lessons again for the first time in nearly 60 years.

Actually I don’t know why I even started to read this thread as I am personally in a de-acquisition mode. I have already started selling off my collection and will probably see its size cut in half soon. But the dream of being even a small part of the creation of a bespoke instrument is a pleasant one to spend a little time on.

As you can see from my signature block I currently own some great instruments and have owned many others in the past. I have always and only seen myself as the ‘current custodian’ of the instruments I have purchased or commissioned. Once I reached the level of custom made instruments I learned a number of interesting and important things. Every instrument had its own unique voice so playing it was like meeting and talking to people from far away and interesting places. I also learned that each responded to my touch differently and I could therefore express my emotions differently through each of those instruments.

But enough of this existential philosophy, let’s get back to our UAS dreams.

I would be very happy to acquire another instrument from the Luthiers I have already commissioned. Having said that I would still love to play a Hive, a Kinnard, a LdFM and a mini 5 string current Beansprout. I’ve already played a Moore Bettah and yes, they are great.

Last edited:
I'd buy any uke I could that George Harrison played!

Well, my dream is coming true! I've commissioned a one of a kind design by Donna LoPrinzi. I can't imagine needing a more special uke than that.

That’s pretty special, Nickie. I am truly happy for you. Next time I get into that part of the state I want to visit LoPrinzi and see what they would do for a custom Baritone.

I'm already happy and content with the ukes I have, but if someone handed me a blank check I'd either go with a custom Martin Tenor or a Mya-Moe Beansprout. I can see myself one day ending up with the Beansprout but I couldn't justify a custom Martin Tenor mainly because I'm so happy with the old Martin 1T I already have. This is fun to think about though!

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

Top Bottom