Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 108

Thread: If You Could Buy Any Ukulele

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,557

    Default If You Could Buy Any Ukulele

    While daydreaming at work today, I found myself wondering if someone gave me a blank check, said that I could write in any amount, but it would have to be used to buy a ukulele, (quite a daydream), what would I want?

    While I think my UAS is somewhat under control right now, (ha!), it was a fun little daydream.

    I suppose my would-love-to-try-but-can't-afford ukulele would be a Moore Bettah. Since I only play concert size, it's not just price that would keep that from happening. I'd be looking for a unicorn.

    What ukulele would you buy with that daydream check in any amount?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern US
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Kanilea ukulele has a "build your own" tool on their site. I "built" one to see what it would cost and lets just say that it'll never happen! But that's what I'd want.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Kanilea Pineapple Special
    Mark Roberts side sound hole only uke
    Iiwi redwood tenor
    Hive
    Steve Grimes
    Jay Litchy
    Compass Rose Jumbo Tenor (this one is in the pipeline..)
    Matching tenor baritone and guitar from Beau Hannam
    Oh the dreams a man can dream..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in GA, USA
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.
    Good Advice!
    One is good. Anything more than that is gravy!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    JoCo, NC (near Raleigh)
    Posts
    4,552

    Default

    I'll play. So hard to pick one. Maybe something like this: https://lichtyguitars.com/models/archtop-ukulele/
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

    !Flukutronic!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.
    Gonna be a dream stealer in every crowd. Lighten up Bill1 this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread

    I will play the game and pick a Moore Bettah because he is not even taking people to go on the waiting list, for the waiting list.

    Just so you know Bill1 I am doing something like you suggested this year. My left hand will be operated on at the end of April, I might not be able to play for as long as 8 months. I will taking singing lessons and studying music theory to stay in the game. Will also use the time to learn new finger picking patterns and possibly learn to play slide, my left hand ring finger is the only one not being cut open.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 04-06-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.
    I understand what you're saying, though none of the instructional materials or on-line classes have kept my interest. I'm not sure what I'd be spending the money on for a serious learning process.Playing what I want keeps me playing every day. It's just a hobby for me.

    But, it is fun to try other ukuleles, and if you can, why not?

    Sometimes when I'm working on something, I find that I can keep myself working on it longer by trying it on another ukulele, and getting a different sound or different feel.

    We all have different approaches, and it's all good. :-)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I'll play. So hard to pick one. Maybe something like this: https://lichtyguitars.com/models/archtop-ukulele/
    Jim! You made me check that out. Now I am in trouble!
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

    Joseph

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I'll play. So hard to pick one. Maybe something like this: https://lichtyguitars.com/models/archtop-ukulele/
    Oh boy! I want to try a arch top but not plugged does it sound good in person?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Gonna be a dream stealer in every crowd. Lighten up Bill1 this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread

    I will play the game and pick a Moore Bettah because he is not even taking people to go on the waiting list, for the waiting list.

    Just so you know Bill1 I am doing something like you suggested this year. My left hand will be operated on at the end of April, I might not be able to play for as long as 8 months. I will taking singing lessons and studying music theory to stay in the game. Will also use the time to learn new finger picking patterns and possibly learn to play slide, my left hand ring finger is the only one not being cut open.
    Happy to hear that you will use the down time productively! Wishing you a quick recovery!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •