If You Could Buy Any Ukulele

If I had a stack of blank checks sitting around, I'd convince Jake Maclay to build me a custom 18" tenor out of adirondack spruce and brazillian. With black ebony bridge, fingerboard, and bindings.

Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.

Different sounds and different looks can contribute to the dream of a particular ukulele.

I recently bought a dreamy KoAloha that will remain in re-entrant tuning. So the magical blank check that Joyful Uke has conjured up for me would definitely go towards a concert scale ukulele with a low G for fingerpicking. I love the looks and sound of the UC200 MoonBird, so I think that would be at the top of my list. But a Kinnard would be awfully nice. And then there is the... Hmmm, it's a good thing this is a make-believe situation, because there are just too many wonderful ukes out there to choose from! :)
Jan D

While daydreaming at work today, I found myself wondering if someone gave me a blank check, said that I could write in any amount, but it would have to be used to buy a ukulele, (quite a daydream), what would I want?

While I think my UAS is somewhat under control right now, (ha!), it was a fun little daydream.

I suppose my would-love-to-try-but-can't-afford ukulele would be a Moore Bettah. Since I only play concert size, it's not just price that would keep that from happening. I'd be looking for a unicorn.

What ukulele would you buy with that daydream check in any amount?

It’s perhaps not quite in the spirit of the thread but Bill’s response is, I think, valid (it’s skill that counts more than the instrument). Setting Bill’s response to one side, and the fun fantasy element of the original post too, I think that the question’s a tough one, or rather a tough one to answer with the perfect selection for any particular player. Over the years I’ve saved to purchase different items and done my research before purchase too, but that research never guarantees a good purchase because you’re never fully informed or don’t understand the significance of some piece of information - some purchases don’t live up to your expectations.

I don’t play expensive instruments ‘cause my skill level doesn’t warrant anything beyond say $150 - it’s amazing what you can do with a good basic Uke too - but if I were to pay more then at the moment Kiwaya and KoAloha Concerts appeal to me (the ones that I see friends and acquaintances playing seem to sound rather good and work well for them).

Last edited:
I'd love to have a few more ukuleles with higher price tags: Mya-Moe, Blackbird, Hive, Moore Bettah (obviously), but honestly the REAL dream I have is to one day play well enough for any of these companies to offer me a custom at cost because I think that would be a good indication of some serious progress being made. If that makes sense.

That said, I've been doing a ton of research on cherry wood for ukuleles recently and Mya-Moe offers that as an option. But on the other hand, Blackbird's Farallon won't be in nearly as much danger when I eventually have to bring it to the desert on deployments, so you know. Decisions decisions. And it's always fun to do research.

I dont like my ukes too shiny.
I will join the Kamaka concert team... Almost.

I actually consider buying one, especially if I ever go to the States. The cost like $400 more in EU compared to USA.

I should go more extravagant than something I would buy myself.
So I might ask Kamaka to make an Ohta San concert without rope binding. I am not fond of robe binding, but those Ohta Sans sound really good on youtube.

Gonna be a dream stealer in every crowd. Lighten up Bill1 this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread :p

I will play the game and pick a Moore Bettah because he is not even taking people to go on the waiting list, for the waiting list.

Just so you know Bill1 I am doing something like you suggested this year. My left hand will be operated on at the end of April, I might not be able to play for as long as 8 months. I will taking singing lessons and studying music theory to stay in the game. Will also use the time to learn new finger picking patterns and possibly learn to play slide, my left hand ring finger is the only one not being cut open.
Dave...whatever the surgery you are having on your hand I really hope it is successful. 8 months is quite a while but if it is successful it will be worth it. I like the idea of keeping your head in music one way or another as you recuperate. I had a thumb injury a few years back which was very worrying.......I decided to learn to play Lap Steel guitar. It was the best thing I could have done......and is so much fun! Mike.

Dave...whatever the surgery you are having on your hand I really hope it is successful. 8 months is quite a while but if it is successful it will be worth it. I like the idea of keeping your head in music one way or another as you recuperate. I had a thumb injury a few years back which was very worrying.......I decided to learn to play Lap Steel guitar. It was the best thing I could have done......and is so much fun! Mike.

Thanks for the encouraging words Mike and thanks to the other well wishers, I really do appreciate it. The initial prognosis is two months minimum and as long as 8 months depending on rehab.

Good luck with your surgery Dave.

In that daydream, do you happen to meet Chuck in a coffe shop, get to talking, and he says he has the time that week ro make you a custom concert? That, with the blank check, would be a very nice daydream.

Even better, he has a ukulele with him that is the perfect ukulele for me, and hands it to me. No waiting! In daydreams, everything is possible. LOL.

The initial prognosis is two months minimum and as long as 8 months depending on rehab.

I hope your (speedy!) recovery includes plenty of physical therapy! Nothing like retraining the body after injury/surgery to get back to par.

Jellyfish have astounding recoveries from otherwise fatal injuries by continuing to flex those muscles; over time, their body reforms to compensate due to all the physical exertion. And while we are slightly more complex than jellies, the idea of the body regrowing/healing and adapting to the exertion is something I think applies to us, too.

Again, hope you’re not out of it too long. Best of luck in both the surgery and on the musical training.

I think that I would write it for a Kamaka concert. Just for the history more than anything.

I would love to get one of the Rebel Livingstons, either the Cedar or Spruce top (anyone got one they want to part with?) Otherwise I would probably build a custom Kanile'a tenor, with a Macassar Ebony body and Cedar Top, with ebony slotted headstock, and Koa Binding/Rosette. Maybe a comfort edge and a cutaway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging words Mike and thanks to the other well wishers, I really do appreciate it. The initial prognosis is two months minimum and as long as 8 months depending on rehab.

Yikes!! Dave, I had no idea. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom