Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank check for learning processes

Default Blank check for learning processes

Bill1 suggested using my imaginary blank checks for 2 or 3 learning processes instead of pretending we could buy a new ukulele.

That did get me thinking, and wondering:
    What would some of the possible learning processes be?

I would probably spend it on having certain arrangements tabbed out, so I could learn those. But, I don't think that's the kind of thing that Bill1 had in mind?

The on-line courses haven't kept my interest, so I don't think I'd spend my blank check on those. Not sure what I'd do, but I would think that some of you might have some fun ideas. :-)

There is the February, 2020 session in Hawaii with Kimo Hussey that includes a DeVine custom ukulele. Limited to eight participants with primo food and accommodations for the four days.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    There is the February, 2020 session in Hawaii with Kimo Hussey that includes a DeVine custom ukulele. Limited to eight participants with primo food and accommodations for the four days.
    See, I knew you all would have some great ideas. :-)

I'd go for the "Matrix" learning method. You know, ask "Tank" to load up the "Aldrine" program.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Eastman EU3C, Concert
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Martin T1K, Tenor

Could I just use the blank check to pay my bills so I didn't have to work and actually had time to play the uke?

John

Quote Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
    Could I just use the blank check to pay my bills so I didn't have to work and actually had time to play the uke?

John
    That would be great, wouldn't it? :-)

Since it's just a daydream anyway, all things are possible.

Yes, don’t work and play ukulele in Hawaii, to kind of combine the two above. I’m sure, given enough time there, I’d come up with even more ideas.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    What was it about the online courses that didn't hold your interest? That may offer a clue to what sort of "learning process" to pursue.
    They didn't use music that I wanted to play. That's the primary thing.

As far as technical skills, there are lots of basic things that won't be in my skill set no matter what, (I've had some hand injuries over the years), and of course, online courses are for a wider audience than just me, so they focus on a lot of things that I have to skip over.

What I would like to work on is figuring out how to do my own arrangements, but I don't know any classes for things like that. Meanwhile, I simply alter existing arrangements to accommodate my limitations. But that way, I can play music that interests me, instead of whatever is in the online courses.

It would be a pretty cheap blank check I think. I just got an email from ArtistWorks.com, learn from the Masters. For two hundred fifty bucks I can take a course from Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel with certificates and badges awarded in three levels. Gotta love certificates and badges. If someone gave me a blank check that I had to spend on lessons I would do that, if just to give Craig and Sarah some support in their endeavors. I know how hard it is to make a buck out there. Otherwise, I can't think of any. I'm really okay with picking it up as I go.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I've been fortunate enough to attend two workshops with great teachers in the past 6 months or so. A two day workshop with Kimo Hussey, and an all day workshop with Stu Fuchs yesterday. Neither were pricey, and both were great learning experiences. If I could do a weeklong session in person with someone like Kimo or Stu, and then weekly online lessons, that would be fun. Stu has lots of online lessons, so I'll start with those. I had a blast at his workshop yesterday. Lots of technique stuff, and just some fun music to jam out with him. He's a very engaging teacher.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Thread Information