Eddy Finn Peanut Soprano REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thank you for the very thorough review, Barry. I have the Eddy Finn Peanut soprano, and I find that it has really grown on me. I have it strung with Martin M-600's, tuned upward from "standard" a half-step to G# C# F A#, and in that mode I'm getting a nice medium-tight string tension and good intonation. Yes, it's definitely on the trebly side, almost like listening to a 78-rpm record on an old-time record player, but at the same time I notice that every chord sounds really crisp and distinct, and I must say I really like that about it. I call this uke "my treble machine". When I use it to accompany vocal tunes, it's interesting how the uke and my voice "stay out of each other's way", and this may be at least in part due to the fact that the Peanut occupies that trebly, "crispy" part of the sound spectrum, whereas my voice, although not really "bass-y", is definitely working within a lower range than the uke. Another way to put it would be to say that I get good "separation" between my voice and the Peanut, which, to my ear, is a pleasing effect. I'd love it if they could make me one of these without the side sound port, as I'm a lefty who flips the uke over to play (that is, my left hand is my strumming hand and my right hand is my fretting hand; but I don't change the "order" of the strings), and as a result the side sound port faces downward toward the floor. I think this little guy would have a nice tone without a side port. Have a good weekend!

P.S. I notice that the bridge on the Peanut is screwed down, with two screws, which run through a little wooden reinforcement plate underneath, inside the body. In ukes with that feature, is it likely that the bridge has been glued down as well, or are the screws doing the job by themselves?

Could be Bill, or maybe not. Depends on the maker. I often see people decry screwed bridges, but it's not acutally all that odd. Some of the most expensive acoustic guitars on the planet screw them down and, I 'believe' Koaloha do on their ukes too.

Whether there is glue as well on this one - sorry - not sure.

Thanks, Barry. I guess there's a fair chance that the makers would have also brushed a little glue on the bottom of the bridge as well. But in any event, it seems strong.

Top Bottom