Bowed fretboard?

Steve-atl

Reaction score
I was going through some old lumber that I used for building electric guitars. I found an old fretboard that was never used. Since I’m making a baritone, I think I can use it for my current build. The problem is it’s a little bowed. The mahogany neck doesn’t have a truss rod.

The question is, do you think that gluing it down to the mahogany neck will bow it?
I sprayed a little water on the bowed side hoping that it may flatten it out.

What do you think

Thanks

Attachments

• Fret .jpg
    Fret .jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
Fret it and sometimes that bows it in the opposite direction and everything will even out. Maybe... My only question is will the scale length be a little long for a baritone?

The scale length is perfect. It runs out of frets at the end. I could add more frets slots, or I was thinking of adding an inlay of some kind. I will never use the frets up by the sound hole.

Scale length has nothing to do with how many fret there are or the length of the fretboard. It has to do with the fret intervals. Your scale length is measured from the nut to the 12th fret times 2. This is the position of the saddle and this is where you calculated to glue your bridge plate. Guitar scale lengths are longer than ukulele bodies usually which might set your bridge too far back on the lower bout which would not be good. It could sound dead because the bridge is not set at the "sweet spot" for your particular body design. But maybe you have calculated that in with your body design.

I know I have asked a lot of stupid question so far, but Yes, I know that :)

The plans have a full-scale diagram of the fret placement — the frets in the old fretboard and the diagram line up. In the photo it looks like they don't but they do.

Attachments

• IMG_9091.jpg
    IMG_9091.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
Deffo close enough, and you’ll cut off the right end. I had the same concerns as Sequoia but all’s good now.

Yes, I will cut it down to size. I can cut more fret slots, or I have been thinking of trying some inlay there. I am pretty sure I will never need frets up by the sound hole :)

Top Bottom