Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording with Blue Yeti

Thanks Kevin,

The first many recordings I didnt notice any distortion on, but after a few recent bad recordings I started this thread.

From what I understand Normalizing just turns the volume up to the maximum level possible without clipping, right?
    So that will only get me so far. But the compression trick should do the trick.
    I only made one recording with this technique, since I have either been ill or busy at work. Forgot to make a control sample to see what would have happened without compression.

I hope I will get on my feet in time to record something for your SotU theme, but I am down with something.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Omg, did it again, in the same thread!

The UU forum is not good for smartphones, with fingers so big and the reply and report buttons so close that I have no idea which I clicked untill there is no post where it should be.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Mezcalero View Post
    I listen to most of your recordings Mikkel, and for what it's worth I think you're getting a great live sound. I haven't noticed any distortion, but I'll pay closer attention in the future to see if I can hear any and let you know!

I've used the Blue Yeti mic for a lot of my SOTU live recordings. I record directly into iMovie, which has very few editing features. I try to spend most of my time before recording getting the hottest signal I can get without overs. The best way to do this is put on a pair of headphones and turn up the gain to the point of distorting and then backing it off a bit. The only thing I do afterwords is normalize and that does seem to help tame the highs and bring the lows up.

I believe Jon uses audacity and he could probably give you some pointers there. It obviously allows tons of editing features, including EQ, compression, reverb etc. Near the top of my to do list is to learn how to record my live videos simultaneously into in Logic Pro, where I can tweak them and then line up the mixed & mastered audio with the video again.
    Thanks Kevin.

I didnt notice problems with most of my recordings either. But after a few bad ones in a row I started this thread.

You say that normalizing for you brings up the lows and tames the highs - I though it just turned the sound up as much a possible without clipping?

I only made one recording utilizing the compression and normalizing effects. Forgot to make a control without compression, must remember to try that.

I hope I will be on my feet to record some for your SotU theme this week, but I am down with something :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mezcalero View Post
    Near the top of my to do list is to learn how to record my live videos simultaneously into in Logic Pro, where I can tweak them and then line up the mixed & mastered audio with the video again.
    I'm not sure if my technique will work with your setup, but what I've been doing rather than try to record video and audio separately is to record both with the Zoom Q8 camera (which has quite good mics). I pull the video file into LumaFusion on the iPad and extract the audio as a .wav file. I then take the .wav file into Cubasis and do all my cleanups - noise reduction, EQ, compression/limiting, sometimes reverb/delay, mix in other audio like backing tracks, etc. - and do a mixdown in Cubasis. Finally take the mixdown track and drop back in LumaFusion - and don't forget to mute the original video track. There's nothing to line up. Now I can do my video edits, including cutting out sections and the linked video/audio tracks get cut at the same time.

Hopefully that makes sense. Writing it down makes it sound a lot more complicated than it is. Maybe I'll make a video on how I make videos.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars: