Adding a Pickup

plunker

Reaction score
This is where I am at:
I started using audacity to record CDs for my mother in law. I have even played with mixing two tracks, but all with the same uke. I was thinking of using my Oscar Schmidt 8 string to record chords behind the tenor with a pick up playing a chord melody. The Oscar Schmidt does not have a pick up.
1.) recommendations on an after market pick up, please.
2.) Get an Oscar Schmidt with the pick up as they are some what in expensive (Money is a bit tight now)
3.) If you are going to spend the money on the OUT8E get a _____________________________ for a few more bucks and try to trade in the regular OUT8 to bring the price down.

Anything else I may have missed.

My advice would be to just record two tracks with whatever microphone you are currently using and lay one over top of the other. The very best ukes with the very best pick ups don't sound as good as something recorded with a microphone. I have a number of high end tenors with LR Baggs 5.0 pick ups for playing amped up live on stage. If I record those instruments it is with a microphone, not plugged in.

Last edited:
Thank you, I don't have a "studio" and I plug in to avoid background noise. I did not know what what you just told me. Can you recommend a good mic for doing this?

Thank you, I don't have a "studio" and I plug in to avoid background noise. I did not know what what you just told me. Can you recommend a good mic for doing this?

I am sorry I misunderstood your situation and question. I thought you already had a microphone because you said you were recording into audacity already. If I now understand correctly your current 4 string has a pickup which you plug into an interface which plugs into your computer, but your Oscar Schmit 8 string does not have a pickup.......is that correct???

You might check out Bartlett Audio. He has a tiny condenser mic that clips on the sound hole and sounds shockingly good. It has more sound isolation than a typical full size condenser. Plus, you don't have to crank the gain as much as a stand mounted mic. I was able to record with traffic noise leaking inside and they were inaudible save for sirens and jackhammers on my building roof. I even tried mixing it 50/50 with a piezo and it sounded much more natural than piezo alone. The best part is the install takes about 30 seconds.

https://www.bartlettaudio.com

I am sorry I misunderstood your situation and question. I thought you already had a microphone because you said you were recording into audacity already. If I now understand correctly your current 4 string has a pickup which you plug into an interface which plugs into your computer, but your Oscar Schmit 8 string does not have a pickup.......is that correct???

Yes the four string ha a pick up. The string does not

You might check out Bartlett Audio. He has a tiny condenser mic that clips on the sound hole and sounds shockingly good. It has more sound isolation than a typical full size condenser. Plus, you don't have to crank the gain as much as a stand mounted mic. I was able to record with traffic noise leaking inside and they were inaudible save for sirens and jackhammers on my building roof. I even tried mixing it 50/50 with a piezo and it sounded much more natural than piezo alone. The best part is the install takes about 30 seconds.

https://www.bartlettaudio.com

Thank you. looks like good stuff, a little pricey for me right now.

What is your budget?? You can get a piezo pick up or KK twin spot supplied and installed for around $100. Another thing to look at is the iRig acoustic stage clip on mic. Sweetwater is selling it for $79.99.

Thank you Dave. I think I am looking at something out of my reach right now. The OUT8s run about $120.00 with a pick up and that is money I don't have to spend right now. It looks like a clip on that is not going to be a disappointment is going to run me almost that. Maybe there isn't a satisfactory answer. I was hoping that I could find a trade for the plain OUT8.

Irig acoustic, lil microphone system that clips on inside soundhole

I ordered one of these. I hope it is not a waste of money
Luvay Pickups & Pickup Covers Acoustic Guitar Pickup, Piezo Contact Microphone
Item price $20.99
Quantity 1
Item number 283421791754
Shipping service UPS 2nd Day Air

Most people say to put them on right on the Bridge plate. Creed doesn't do it that way when he is building because he still has to clamp and glue the bridge. I initially tried mine in front of the bridge but got a lot of non-string noise from the soundboard.

Just the one hole - for the end pin Jack. A stepped bit works well.

I put a pickup/tuner on my OS 8 string a couple years ago. Considering the price of the instrument I wanted to spend the least possible. So, I got one of the "EBay Specials" that went for under $10. Installation was not hard, providing you have some sharp exacto-type knives and take your time.

Bottom line - it works pretty well. All the strings register cleanly and the sound reproduction is not bad. No, it's not studio quality, but this isn't a studio instrument. It is what it is - a fun 8-string than can get loud when the circumstances call for it and still sound pretty good.
OS 8-string.jpg

Steve, you sound like me. I ordered one of these.
Item price $20.99. Sticks in the with a sticky pad. Put it right below the bridge. Works well for what I do (for now). I was so looking forward to buying another uke.

Top Bottom