So new, I don't hav a ukulele yet!!

meggarland

Reaction score
Greetings, all! I'm sure this isn't the thread to ask for advice on a sweet (affordable) uke tomstart with and play for awhile, but I wouldn't ignore suggestions! ..even if that direction is where I can find/ask such things.😊
Excited to learn and make new friends!

Greetings, all! I'm sure this isn't the thread to ask for advice on a sweet (affordable) uke tomstart with and play for awhile, but I wouldn't ignore suggestions! ..even if that direction is where I can find/ask such things.��
Excited to learn and make new friends!

Hello and welcome. I’m pretty new to ukulele myself. Your question really depends on what ‘affordable’ means to you and what size you’re looking for. When I started looking, I got a lot of good info from the reviews on Got a Ukulele. They’re broken down by price range, and very informative. Plus, they’re all accompanied by a sound sample YouTube video.

Barry, the gentleman that runs the site, is a member of these forums. His review of the Pono Acacia Deluxe Tenor started me down that path. Then, after listening to several sound samples from The Ukulele Site and talking to Andrew there, it solidified my decision. I have no regrets.

I’m not saying that’s the right uke for you, just giving you my experience and how I went about making my first buying decision.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy strumming!

Ditto the hello and welcome. You've come to the right place. As a relative newbie here myself, I'm delighted with the information, advice and support that's available here.
As mnb128 said, it's hard to know what's affordable for you. The sites mentioned in the above post are great. Also, I don't know what area you live in, but if there's a local music shop that sells ukuleles that's in your area, go in and try some. Best of luck in your efforts -- have fun!

Welcome Meggarland,

Lots of info and good friendly advice here if you search it out.
Enjoy your uke journey!

Welcome!

I'll second the recommendation to Barry's review site. Here's the link.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-reviews.html

His reviews are in British Pounds, but the prices tend to translate pretty close to US dollars too.

I'd caution against buying on Amazon or other similar sites unless you really know that it's a good instrument. There's a lot of cheap junk out there.

Welcome. There are two very important elements to your first purchase: First is the size. Most start with soprano (smallest), concert, or tenor and if you can try them out you might find one feels best even without playing experience. Second is price - If you can spend more initially, that might save wanting to upgrade in a few months. When purchasing, most purchase online due to access and availability. Recommended are some specific shops that do "setup" to make sure the ukulele is in the most playable condition (and thus easier to play). If you want a list of these shops, inquire here (with your general location).

Top Bottom