Build Thread: Cripple Creek 5-String Tenor

Rosette

Here are some progress photos of the rosette:
95holaF.jpg

OY7kFgv.jpg

AkggmPD.jpg
q2cz98u.jpg

Great-looking rosette. It was also a treat to see how it was made.

Just don't stare at it too long: "You are getting sleepy. Sleeeeeepy..." :)

I love those wood shavings, it really shows off the fine skills required to do this sort of work :D So this is a single bout body design? :D

Breaking new ground. Not necessarily a new concept, except for the 5 strings.

Thanks David, sorry if it's a silly question. I've only just started looking at the different body shapes recently and I thought that the Romero instruments had a similar design concept rather than the more common figure 8 :D

Hoffmann (formerly Boat Paddle?) builds both 5 string and mandola shaped ukuleles.

hoffmann.JPGszerlong_08[1].jpg

You didn't fail here Jim, you can't please everyone, so don't worry about it. :)

I love the paddle, pineapple shape, etc

We're all looking forward to the 5 stringer arriving. It's great how your including us in the process. It will be interesting to learn about how you'll play it.

BTW as a result of the original post thread I've purchased a 5 string concert Ohana and a 5 string tenor Kala.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to learn about how you'll play it.

BTW as a result of the original post thread I've purchased a 5 string concert Ohana and a 5 string tenor Kala.
To start it will be the kiku tuning mentioned earlier dGCEA. I have Living Water strings on their way to David. I also got some spare strings with a then high-high c string to try that pseudo-banjo tuning later, cGCEg.

I thought you were funny with the Sir Mix-a-Lot reference.
Oh good, at least one other old American got it. :rofl:

To start it will be the kiku tuning mentioned earlier dGCEA. I have Living Water strings on their way to David. I also got some spare strings with a then high-high c string to try that pseudo-banjo tuning later, cGCEg.

Calling Hodge "old" now that's being rude Jim. :eek:ld:

You are a stand up guy and everyone here knows that, Penny just needs to sharpen her sense of humor is all

To the real matter at hand, the 5 string is looking awesome Jim, truely a custom. I know you will come up with some wild tuning using a Frankenset of string and it will sound great.

So you're doing it differently than a lot of 5 strings with the high and low G. Your mandolele keeps getting more interesting :)

Was trying to be funny. Guess I failed. :(

I thought it was very funny. And an actual lol moment for me at least.

From Wikipedia:
"Baby Got Back" is a 1992 hip hop song written and recorded by American rapper Sir Mix-a-Lot, ... The first verse begins with: "I like big butts and I cannot lie"

Great word play with "big bouts" Jim. It cracked me up. (Pun intended.) And I am not a follower of rap music. But that song was everywhere back then. And still referenced today.

Calling Hodge "old" now that's being rude Jim. :eek:ld:

I know you will come up with some wild tuning using a Frankenset of string and it will sound great.
Haha!
The set isn't all that odd really. It's Living Water, standard low GCEA tenor set with a high d from the dGBE tenor set.

So you're doing it differently than a lot of 5 strings with the high and low G.
Right, the strings will be equally spaced so the 'd' and 'G' can be play indepedently, unlike the typical 5-strings which are really 4-courses with the high and low G expected to be played together.

Last edited:
So I am really interested in hearing how this goes! It seems like essentially you are having a rajao built and will play it w an alternative tuning...

Top Bottom