Build Thread: Cripple Creek 5-String Tenor

on that body, would you consider a splated flamed maple or something with a sap section to make it looks more interesting? It’s a custom build and I thought there’s plenty of stuff you could have. Jmho.
I relayed my interest in "crazy" woods so I'm up for anything in that regard, but I'm also fine with the set David posted. There are many levels of "custom" and certain things are still chosen by availability or price point.

Clarification: The mando-uke pictured is by Bigleaf Mandolins
Capture.JPG

Hi, Jim!

Tailpiece is easy to change. It brings you to play double 4th strings (red circle in the figure) too as well as 5 strings. You are tuning king. Tailpiece may be better for you.

Hi
Let us know how it goes. I too am contemplating a 5 string and the notion of each string as we discussed is really interesting. I'm wondering how it will sound when strummed.

Let us know
:)

Tuners

After some discussion, we decided to go with Gotoh UPT. I prefer these slightly over Peghed. One issue is that most outlets only sell the 4-packs. But you can order "bulk" from japarts.ca.
http://www.japarts.ca/_japarts_ca/Gotoh/Gotoh-Products-UPT-Ukulele.asp

One downside here is that the bulk orders are filled from the manufacturer in Japan. This means a long lead time and expensive shipping. For 5 tuners, this was still the cheaper option, but if you were getting 6 or 7, you'd be better off getting two 4-packs from another vendor and giving away the extras.

We're going with the gold and black version, UPTL-JP2B-G:
ge45NZKm.jpg

This build is going to look so classy. I had the exact same Gotoh UPTL installed on my S1 and it totally transformed the look from plain to something belonging to an orchestra.

String Spacing

Probably the most common uke nut width is 1-3/8" (35mm) with 9.5mm string spacing. If you go 9mm spacing for 5 strings, that yields a nut width of 42mm or 1-5/8". This is still much narrower than a typical guilele neck of 48mm or 1-7/8", so it sounds logical. But.... measuring my guilele, the string spacing is very close to 8mm, not 9mm, and I'm liking this tighter spacing on the 6 string.

So that was the initial plan - 8mm string spacing which yields a nut width of 38mm or (wait for it) 1.5".

I have to admit this gives me a little pause since probably the second most common uke width is 1.5". But that is for 4 strings, and here we are talking about putting 5 strings in the same space.

We've decided to split the difference and do 8.5mm spacing and 40mm width. Still time to change my mind, but that's the going-in plan.

Hi, Jim! Your 5 string uku is very interesting.

I have made a small guitar with Neewer concert ukulele (right figure below). It is 38mm nut and string space is 6.5mm. It is playable and fun. But I know 6.5mm is crazy and 7mm is better. Vintage Gibson J-45 has 39mm nut model late 50s. Gibson has still 39mm model. But they are steal strings. I may take 38mm rather than 40mm because I get used to it on ukulele.

This sounds very interesting. I have been searching for a 5 string soprano scaled ukulele with the strings evenly spaced. This would be a great clawhammer ukulele. Those of us that play some clawhammer banjo would feel right at home.

Jim

Final Design Specs

Of course, things could get tweaked during the build process, but here's what we got going in:

Tenor scale rosewood finger board...radius...side dots and top dots
Maple body with a light curl
Cedar top...custom rosette
Koa edge binding and an end pin
Spanish cedar neck
mandola shaped body, 12" wide and 3" deep
Five string spaced 8.5mm for a 1-9/16" wide nut.
Pinned bridge

I guess so. Luthier said get the UPTL so that's what I ordered.

Hi, Jim!

I have spare UPTLs for you. I made many guitaleles but lately I do not play them. This set is almost new, because this guitalele has a problem with intonation. If you are ok for white ones, I will send them to you immediately for free.

Top Bottom