Thread: Ngd. 1893...

Default Ngd. 1893...

Picked up an 1893 Bay State guitar Parlor guitar yesterday. Spruce top with maple b/s faux painted to look like Brazillion Rosewood. Has extra light DiAddarios steel strings on.

Playing it last night, I could feel the players of yesteryear coming out. I played riffs and lead-in's I never played before. Definitely the ghosts from 126 years of being played. Was surreal but not unexpected.

Incredible condition and sound. Just a bit larger than a baritone. Looks like it'll take a 3/4 size guitar case.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-09-2019 at 05:23 AM.

They look steal strings. Is steal string available in 1893? Congrats on great guitar!
    Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!

Hi Z, No it was gut strung before. Steel didn't come out until the 20's. Extra light steel work fine for a classical guitar. I'm using D'Addario 10-47 steel on now and will go to John Pearce Xlight next. Thanks, we did a gig today with a bluegrass group I play with and it blew a couple of '70's Martin Dreadnaughts out of the water. It weighs two pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hi Z, No it was gut strung before. Steel didn't come out until the 20's. Extra light steel work fine for a classical guitar. I'm using D'Addario 10-47 steel on now and will go to John Pearce Xlight next. Thanks, we did a gig today with a bluegrass group I play with and it blew a couple of '70's Martin Dreadnaughts out of the water. It weighs two pounds.
    Patrick I don't know how I missed your NGD but glad I found it. Congratulations that guitar is too cool for school, such an awesome little vintage beauty. It's a Martin killer to boot........love it.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information