Banjo conversion

Good stuff, and it can go the other way too as I had my recently acquired concert uke set up to be tuned like a tenor banjo. Wanted to learn/experiment with this type of tuning.

Cool, thanks for the tip on the non-tip bridge! :D. I've never heard of a non-tip bridge, but the one I got tipped already one time.

Last edited:
banjosfront.jpg

Here's an old SS Stewart tenor banjo that I have strung with nylon strings and tuned f,Bb,D,G with a capo at the 2nd fret, making it gCEA. I like it a lot. It's sharing the couch with some other banjoleles. I tied a loop in the strings to hook onto the tailpiece..

I've used it often with the Maple Leaf Champions jug band..

MLC JUG BAND.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 117868

Here's an old SS Stewart tenor banjo that I have strung with nylon strings and tuned f,Bb,D,G with a capo at the 2nd fret, making it gCEA. I like it a lot. It's sharing the couch with some other banjoleles. I tied a loop in the string.

I've used it often with the Maple Leaf Champions jug band..

View attachment 117869

How could you not like all those B/U's :D

The new lower bridge worked well, and the Nyltech strings have settled. The nut width on this one is painfully slim, at only 31.2 mm, with a string spread of 24.6 mm. Can you say cramped? A fun experiment, but very hard for me to play, so not sure what will happen to this one. What's a decent banjo uke with wider nut?

20190518_123307.jpg

Last edited:
The new lower bridge worked well, and the Nyltech strings have settled. The nut width on this one is painfully slim, at only 31.2 mm, with a string spread of 24.6 mm. Can you say cramped? A fun experiment, but very hard for me to play, so not sure what will happen to this one. What's a decent banjo uke with wider nut?

What bridge did you use? It doesn't look like the non-tip. How high is the bridge?

The new bridge is just over 1/2" tall, with action pretty normal at 12th fret now. It is a non-tip bridge, but the little black plastic piece that gets attached perpendicular to the bridge, to provide the anti-tip support, did not fit, the slot in it was too small, so I just went without it, and it hasn't tipped at all.

Last edited:

View attachment 118100

There is one here, seems pretty decent. :D

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?139356-FS-Southern-Cross-Banjo-Uke-Tenor

Top Bottom