What do you call it?

Rllink

Reaction score
What do you call it, TCAS, tap crap acquisition syndrome? So one of my other retirement activities is tap dancing. I know, the image of a sixty eight year old man, 6'1" and moderately overweight tap dancing is not an image that you want. And I am terrible. I am by far the worst in the class. Especially painful because the only person worse than I am was the woman who quit two weeks ago. Right now we are working on our recital number. Adult tap, right between 8-9 year old ballet and the 12-14 year old jazz dance on the recital schedule in June. I'm not doing recital, but I do have to practice for it because that is what the class is focused on right now. I'm sorry, but I am the only male in my tap dance group and I refuse to wear that costume. Haha, just kidding. Not that I am not doing the recital. That part is true. I'm sure that if I said I would do it they would find me a male appropriate costume. My wife is doing recital however.

Anyway, in my attempts to get better, which practice would probably be a more productive route considering I have a custom tap dance floor with padded underlayment in the basement, instead I have bought a new pair of shoes. I don't need them. My tap shoes are just fine. But my thinking is that perhaps those $78 Bloch Flex Taps are holding me back. I need a pair of $196 Jason Samuel Smith Men's pro tap shoes. On sale for just $163. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival this afternoon. Tracking says that they are out for delivery. As long as I was spending money, I saved a bunch in shipping by getting a pair of obsidian loose fit men's dance pants with two slash pockets, rear hip pocket, and elastic waist with drawstring. I'm also getting an extra large moisture wicking light blue shirt to go with it. They were on clearance. I may not be good, but I'll look like I'm good. All I have to do is avoid anyone seeing me dance. Should be easy to do. Other than class, I limit my dancing to the privacy of my basement. See what can happen? Tap dance, just something else to spend money on. Lucky that I do not suffer UAS, because I need tap crap, and tap crap does not come cheap. Just thought that you might find my story funny. Feel free to use in against me any time. You gotta be thick skinned to be a 68 year old male tap dancer. :)

P.S. I was complaining about how much I spend on tap, and my wife told me that the recital fees and the cost of her costume was more than my new shoes. So there you go, justification. That's all I needed. :)

Last edited:
Great story! We need pics of you in your new attire! :cool:
When you get down to it, the pants look much the same as any that you would wear to the gym, and the shirt is just a dry fit shirt. So my dance outfit pretty much could pass for my gym outfit. That's good, in case I have to stop by the grocery store that is next door to the dance studio. I'll look like the rest of the people who want to look like they just came from their workout class. The shoes showed up and were too small, but the exchange was painless and quick. I like them. I just spent the first hour this morning looking at more dance crap and trying hard to convince myself that I don't need a special little draw string bag for my new shoes. My shoes are fine just thrown in my special dance tote, and believe me, it isn't easy finding a masculine looking dance tote. I will post a picture of the entire class if I can get them to do it. There are nine of us, plus the teacher.

Last edited:
Top Bottom