What is your most FUN uke?

How does the Lanikai sound comapred to the Kala? I'm not famliar with bocote wood. I ask because one of my neighbors kids wants a ukulele and his parent asked me about a Lanikai bocote, and I had to confess my ignorance of what the bocote would sound like. I recommended they drive to Mims and try ukes there (a couple of hours from us).

I don't know if I can tell anything about the sound by the type of wood, I think the build makes more of a difference. When I first got the Kala about 5 years ago (by recommendation from Mim), I found that it has much better projection and sustain than any of my under $200 ukes I had at the time (16). When I got the Lanikai late last year, it also has great projection and sustain, especially for such a shallow body, and has a bowed back. I bought it for the beautiful figuring of the wood and hoped it sounded as good as the Kala Thinline travel ukes members of my group have, it absolutely does.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

What is your most FUN uke?
Seems there are two different thoughts going on here, actual fun uke, & fun/pleasing to play uke.

I guess my most fun uke is my Ohana solid mahogany tenor neck soprano, it is so different to look at, whilst having such a lovely sound, & lots of room on the fretboard.

Whilst my KoAloha Opio solid acacia long neck concert is my most pleasing to play.

Ocassionally I'll plug in my electric steel string tenor & play it through some effects, so I guess that's a fun uke too.

I have endless fun on my luthier built sopranino. Often while watching some dross on tv, just noodling away figuring out chord patterns for a song I have a vague idea of learning sometime!

What is your most FUN uke? The one that always satisfies, and puts a smile on your face.

For me, it's a concert Flea, with wooden fretboard. It's loud, easy playing and always gives up a good sound, whether strumming softly, fingerpicking, or soprano style heavier strumming on old timey favorites.

I have other more expensive ukes, but they seem to be outstanding, can't-get-enough-great one day, but the next day, they might just be OK. The Flea always sounds and plays the same, and that's why it's my most FUN uke. How about you?

Luckily for me, all of them are the most fun. :D

Usually, it's whichever one I got most recently.

Three to four years ago I stopped into Moze Guitars in La Mesa (down by San Diego). Moze has been selling Fred Shields ukuleles for years and I always check out Fred’s offerings. This time I saw something pretty odd, a three string soprano ukulele. Whether purists consider it a uke or not, Fred does so that is good enough for me.

Once you get over the initial adjustment of not having a g string for some chords it becomes about the easiest instrument to play... as in the first time you play an E chord without a g string. I have had Fred make a few more (concert and tenor). He uses a different neck profile than his standard ukulele.

It is perfect for those no brainer times when I just don’t want to work at playing.

John

Here's my funnest one. .never seems to disappoint...concert Flea. Resting comfortably after a vigorous workout.

20190418_181649.jpg

Last edited:
What is your most FUN uke? The one that always satisfies, and puts a smile on your face.

For me, it's a concert Flea, with wooden fretboard. It's loud, easy playing and always gives up a good sound, whether strumming softly, fingerpicking, or soprano style heavier strumming on old timey favorites.

I have other more expensive ukes, but they seem to be outstanding, can't-get-enough-great one day, but the next day, they might just be OK. The Flea always sounds and plays the same, and that's why it's my most FUN uke. How about you?

Right now, I think it is my KoAloha pineapple. I enjoy playing all of my ukes but that is one that literally screams to be played and when played. It’s almost obnoxious how loud it sounds in my quiet room and in uke club. It makes me feel like mike Meyers in Wayne’s World when he picks up the electric guitar. My Iriguchi is a close second and may be #1 next month. My Kamaka “beater” is out of commission right now for repairs with the luthier.

Come on! By definition, ukuleles are fun. I have fun playing all of them, large or small, wooden or composit, regular, resonator, or banjo uke.

If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't be involved.

My Ohana SK-38 is so light weight and punchy. A close second and a different kind of fun is my Sopranino SK-21M - it's tiny and I can stretch across frets with ease, but it doesn't get played nearly as much.

I’ve been agonizing over those two models. About which one to get. Currently I own the standard SK-21 but I am really curious about the “premium mahogany” the sk-38 and sk21m are made out of. Do you happen to know how the premium mahogany compares to their standard mahogany?

My concert Fluke, bought used from a forum member here, it remains a joy.
It hangs next to the sofa, always.

I do also really enjoy my Kmise tenor tuned to gBDE with custom Living Waters strings.
Its a more comfortable key to sing in.

Almost all of my many ukuleles are very modestly priced.

Digging my Bruko Mahogany Cedar top soprano thee days. It's probably not my "best" uke, but I just can't seem to put it down. It's such a fun, cool little instrument and there is something so addicting about it. I don't even always like the Bruko sound (though I do always love mine), but there is something special about them and I could easily get BAS (Bruko Acquisition Syndrome).

View attachment 118180

For me, it is actually my wife’s Rebel Double Creme concert. It really feels nice to hold and strum, and the resonance carries through my body when playing. Add to that a nice wide neck and clean build, and it’s hard to ask for more.

I’ve got a soprano Moon Bird and my own Rebel dessert coming soon, and hopefully one of those will replace the above for me. I’m sure my wife would love her uke back. :rolleyes:

I’ve got to say that my recently acquired Blackbird Clara is a lot of fun. Great sound, good volume, and no worries as a grab & go ukulele.

I'd have to say my KoAloha KCM-00 is my most fun. I like my Kanilea Tenor the most and it is what I take the most seriously, but I seem to have fun just noodling around on the KoAloha. They are fun little instruments with a big sound, plus something is just cute about the sound hole.

I’d say it’s my recently acquired The Rebel Double Cream super concert. It ticks all the boxes for me in terms of sound, looks, playability, build quality and downright “ fun ability” . It makes me smile every time I pick it up .

For me it's the uke we call "Baby," a Kala Travel Soprano. I can pick it up, hold it with no effort and strum, strum, strum. Plus carrying it with it's gig bag is effortless. :)

KoAloha tenor is the most fun, but not the one I play the most

Top Bottom