Is the advantage of solid wood a myth?

If you had to choose between a Kala KA-STG (solid spruce top) or a Kala KA-ZCT (Ziricote laminate). They are both the same price but one is laminate and the other solid top. Which would you go for?

I'd would choose the KA-STG. Not necessarily because it's got a solid top but personally, because I owned a KA-ZCT and didn't like it all that much. It was a nice sounding uke, with a sorta sweet airy sound, and I really liked the neck a lot. I guess I like something with a little more brightness and punch. My favorite uke is a laminate (Kiwaya KS-5), so I definitely don't buy into solid wood automatically being superior (though I think in most cases it is) , I just personally didn't like the sound of the KA-ZCT. That said, it is generally regarded as a nice ukulele for the price.

Internet sound samples are always hard to get a really good read on, but they are better than nothing. Listen to a few and pick the one you like better.

KA-ZCT https://vimeo.com/170772958

KA-STG https://vimeo.com/68261892

Last edited:
Here an older video from HMS on budget tenors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hwGqey0e6Y

I don't usually play tenors, and my ukuleles are not budget models, so I do not have any specific models to recommend. But, to maximize the bang for your buck- I would recommend buying used through the marketplace here. You may be able to get something a step-up over buying new. Just post a want to buy and see what comes in.

I'd always prefer a solid top. Of those 2 videos, the solid spruce top model sounds much woodier and alive to my ears. YMMV

I definitely agree, the spruce top sounds markedly better to my ears too.

To the OP, I'll also add that while I think laminate (or other synthetic) CAN sound as good as a solid, in reality the majority of the time solid sounds better. In the Kala world I would choose a solid top over a laminate every time. YMMV

Last edited:
If you had to choose between a Kala KA-STG (solid spruce top) or a Kala KA-ZCT (Ziricote laminate). They are both the same price but one is laminate and the other solid top. Which would you go for?
The difference here is more the difference in tonewoods than a difference between solid and laminate. Both probably sound pretty good, and which is better will be highly subjective. Personally, I'd pick the spruce because I like spruce and I'm not fond of the ziricote look (I may be the only one ;) ). What's right for me has no bearing on what's right for you.

I play my laminate mahogany Kala tenor more than I play my solid spruce top Ohana concert. The top wood isn't the deciding factor between these

Blind listening tests between a Stradivarius and other violins have not shown the Strad to be superior. I bet it would be the same with a solid/laminate comparison.

The blind testing I've seen were between Stradivarius violins and modern violins built with comparable great skill quality, not inexpensive ones. No laminate was involved. :) Personally, I'd take laminate more seriously if it were used in the making of violin family instruments. It isn't, though. Even cheap entry level children's violins are made with all solid woods. Personally, I would only buy all-solid ukuleles. But that's me.

bratsche

You are correct but wood is not a homogeneous material either. While it may not contain a glue layer it does have a fibrous structure that has damping characteristics. Having said that wood glue does not stay soft like you'd imagine. So in reality it behaves less like glue and more like sap.

I am not an expert in wood and wood glues, although I have read a fair amount about it. I believe it's better, but perhaps not completely accurate to compare glue to lignin, which is the substance in wood which holds the wood fibers together. A test for a successful glue joint is to force it apart after it is cured. A successful glue joint will break the wood instead of the glue bond when forced apart. On the basis of this I find it difficult to believe that glue has much of an effect at all on the vibrational qualities. I am interested enough in this subject to be open to hear what others have to say.

I hope you find a tenor in your price range to satisfy you. It's difficult to buy online where you can't actually play and listen to the instrument you will buy. There are online videos and online reviews like gotaukulele which might help you.

I thought Kiwaya ukuleles are laminates and people seem to like those.

Although take the above with a grain of salt as I mostly have all wood ukes (and a two fleas which I think are laminate too).

The stiffness of a laminate is much greater compared to a solid wood with same thickness and that matters I imagine. The way wood grains are pointing is another too in the laminate layers. Which one, solid or laminate is really better is another question too and depends how we use our ukes. Solid tops are of course always more expensive.

IMHO the greatest advantage of a solid top is to the manufacturer, who can charge significantly more than for a laminate top, for a very similar labour input, and have the punters queueing up to hand over the cash.

YMMV ;) :music:

Interesting discussion, let me throw in a few points. As for violins and blind listening tests. Apples and oranges here guys, yes, in many tests the audience could not tell the difference, but the player knows instantly, they are the ones feeding constant energy into the instrument. They have to work much harder with a lesser instrument. Blind listening tests also show that side sound ports don’t work!

Generally, laminates are used in less expensive instruments and are mass assembled by semi skilled labor, but some high end luthiers also use laminates, i.e. double top classical guitars and laminated sides in other instruments. It is largely the skill and effort expended during construction that determine the overall quality of the instruments.

One advantage of solid wood is I can graduate the thickness of my tops and back. They are thinner at the edges and thicker in the center. I also string up all my instruments before applying the finish, which allows me to adjust the thickness if necessary.

I do debate sometimes why we luthiers struggle to obtain the best sounding sounding acoustic instruments that we can, when a couple hundred dollars of electronics can give an inexpensive instrument any sound we want.
Brad

IMHO the greatest advantage of a solid top is to the manufacturer, who can charge significantly more than for a laminate top, for a very similar labour input, and have the punters queueing up to hand over the cash.

YMMV ;) :music:

I just couldn’t agree more, and I think that laminates have advantages over solids. They, of course, usually have a lower retail price. For another thing, they aren’t affected by humidity nearly as much as solids. Mine are all (except one) laminates, and, even though I don’t use any kind of humidity precautions, none have ever cracked or warped or twisted or nothin’.

I wonder how many of us, lowly, striving amateurs can really tell the difference as to whether a ukulele has a really great sound or a just mediocre one. Does one just give ‘er a strum and listen? “Wow! That really sounds great! It’s almost as good as my favorite Kamaka.” How else can one test the quality of sound?

And . . . If it doesn’t sound as good as Jake’s, one can always change the strings . . . :eek:ld:

I prefer solid wood, it can be manufactured thinner and therefore has better potential to vibrate and resonate, if built and braced well. Advantage of laminate is that it is less delicate and susceptible to environmental impacts. I think that carbonfibre ukes can also be very resonant and less fragile, so that can also be a great alternative.

The OP also mentioned the effect of aging on wood - ideally the wood should be stored/aged for a long time BEFORE it is used in instrument building. But nowadays unfortunately many of the instrument makers only allow a few months before the wood is built into an instrument in the mass production environments, and as a result many instruments get sold that need some further aging. For solid wood instrument it may make sense to ensure what the wood storage policies of the manufacturer are. If they don't tell it's a good sign that the instrument may take a year or longer to stabilize soundwise. For guitars, there is also a popular torrification process that accelerates this.

I'd would choose the KA-STG. Not necessarily because it's got a solid top but personally, because I owned a KA-ZCT and didn't like it all that much. It was a nice sounding uke, with a sorta sweet airy sound, and I really liked the neck a lot. I guess I like something with a little more brightness and punch. My favorite uke is a laminate (Kiwaya KS-5), so I definitely don't buy into solid wood automatically being superior (though I think in most cases it is) , I just personally didn't like the sound of the KA-ZCT. That said, it is generally regarded as a nice ukulele for the price.

Internet sound samples are always hard to get a really good read on, but they are better than nothing. Listen to a few and pick the one you like better.

KA-ZCT https://vimeo.com/170772958

KA-STG https://vimeo.com/68261892

If possible, listen using quality earphones or buds in a quiet room.

I think all other factors being equal (which they never are) the solid spruce will have a slightly brighter sound with louder projection than the laminate. But that may not be the sound you are looking for.

I just couldn’t agree more, and I think that laminates have advantages over solids. They, of course, usually have a lower retail price. For another thing, they aren’t affected by humidity nearly as much as solids. Mine are all (except one) laminates, and, even though I don’t use any kind of humidity precautions, none have ever cracked or warped or twisted or nothin’.

I wonder how many of us, lowly, striving amateurs can really tell the difference as to whether a ukulele has a really great sound or a just mediocre one. Does one just give ‘er a strum and listen? “Wow! That really sounds great! It’s almost as good as my favorite Kamaka.” How else can one test the quality of sound?

And . . . If it doesn’t sound as good as Jake’s, one can always change the strings . . . :eek:ld:

I thought my KaAloha tenor sounded pretty good when I strummed it and picked it. Then a very good player asked if she could try it. Holy moly! It NEVER sounded that good before. Wonderful! She normally plays a Kala tenor, I have no idea what model. She makes that sound great as well.

Something to aspire to, though the years are not in my favor...

IMHO: Laminate instruments can sound very good depending on the quality (& composition) of the laminate. A good example would be Kiwaya ukuleles. I've been impressed with some laminate ukuleles & guitars, however most had a solid top.
Most of the sound quality of an instrument comes from the top. The better the top, the better the sound (which is all in the ear of the listener). I don't believe it's just manufacturers hype. The solid woods used for tops require more climate control & preparation than laminated woods. There is also more spoilage due to cracking and imperfections in the wood that is only evident when the wood is cut. This all adds up to a higher cost.

I've read that a laminate instrument doesn't improve with age, while a solid wood instrument will mature & (hopefully) improve with age.

If possible, listen using quality earphones or buds in a quiet room.

I think all other factors being equal (which they never are) the solid spruce will have a slightly brighter sound with louder projection than the laminate. But that may not be the sound you are looking for.

And that is why I would choose the laminate. Brighter and louder are the opposite of what I want. I have a hearing sensitivity and it makes a big difference to me.

So much depends on the workmanship of the ukulele.

Also, as someone else eluded to, the player have a lot to do with it, too. Me playing a solid wood ukulele will NOT sound better than Jake on a laminate! :p

Top Bottom