Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ukelele player. Confused with Mike Lynch's book No. 1

Angry New Ukelele player. Confused with Mike Lynch's book No. 1

Believing Mike Lynch's books were for beginners, I purchased Book one.
    When It arrived in my Email, I discovered there are no words in 45 out of the 52 songs, no finger placement (except in 2 songs), and most songs have no chords listed either.
    How is a beginner supposed to befit from this book?

>> STOP THE PRESS! <<
    WONDERFUL NEWS! Collene Lynch is such a fair-minded person that she gave me a refund!
    So, let's chalk the whole thing up to my viewing Mike's YouTube videos (which have the finger placement, chords, and words) and assuming all that would be in his books.
    You know what they say about that word "Ass-U-Me"...

Anyhow, I have taken the advice of several opinions here on the Ukulele Underground, and ordered the Dummies Book on Ukulele's. I'm sure to learn much.
    Thanks once again to Mike for his tireless videos, from which I believe I can still learn from, and to his wonderful wife Collene for her patience with a confused beginner, namely me...

Aloha to all,
    Vic
    Last edited by Geekster2; 04-14-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Updated to include recent events.

Wow, that would indeed be a shocker, beginner or not.
    John

No idea how you are supposed to learn from that. Did you have to pay for it?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Welcome.

Cannot help with this book

Whilst it will not help you this time if you search for a book on Amazon frequently there is a. .... look inside .... option on one of the images.

I would not buy any book by mail order tha I could not at least view the first few pages.

So do this using Amazon then buy from whatever source you prefer.

On a different tack try doing an online search for Uke clubs near where you like you may be surprized, I have 7 within a 20 minute drive.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Quote Originally Posted by Geekster2 View Post
    Believing Mike Lynch's books were for beginners, I purchased Book one.
    When It arrived in my Email, I discovered there are no words in 45 out of the 52 songs, no finger placement (except in 2 songs), and most songs have no chords listed either.
    How is a beginner supposed to befit from this book?
    Can you post a photo of one of these pages that are unusable?

What was the title of the book.....did it say it was a beginners book on how to play the ukulele.

A lot of Mike's books are designed for the intermediate to advanced player for chord melody and finger picking pieces.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 04-12-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have book one of his chord melody songs and it's not really for beginners and doesn't fit the description you offer. I didn't even think his books were currently available to buy. Let me know where you found them because I'm looking to buy books two and three of the chord melody series.

Maybe you got the self-help edition?
    John

Yes. There was a required $20 DONATION that must be made first. Then they Email you the PDF file.
    Of course every page is copyrighted, so that prevents dissatisfied customers from sending examples to others before they buy.

rainbow21: They're all copyrighted, so I'm afraid to.

Thread Information