Crossrock Cases: Wood vs Molded ABS

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm considering a Crossrock hard case for my new Cocobolo concert ukulele (it's currently in a Kala polyfoam case). There are two models available that I like. One is a tweed-covered wooden case (CRW700CUTW) and the other is an ABS molded case (CRA800CUGY). The costs are similar and I like the looks of both.

If any of you have had to compare these two cases, I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Advantages or disadvantages?

I have a Tenor Crossrock diamond finish ABS case similar to the one you mentioned. I like it a lot. It's sturdy. Doesn't mark easily and is very secure with 4 latches.
Two complaints:
1. The glues used in the interior stink really badly. It took 4 months for it to dissipate enough for me to tolerate the smell in an enclosed room. A year later it still smells if it's been closed for a while.
2. The fit of the interior pieces wasn't very good. I'm sure it was done by workers being paid for piece work. So done as fast as possible.
3. You have to be a little careful closing the top. The hinges don't quite guide it into place so you have to "square" it up to fit together correctly so the latches close completely. But the five latches ensures that they remain properly aligned and secure.

That being said, it holds my tenors well. It protects them well. And it's great if I have to leave a uke for repairs. The blue color makes it distinctive and easy to find. I have not taken it on a plane or public transportation.

I have a tenor Kala tweed that looks very similar to the model you are looking at. But only has two latches. It works very well. Very plush interior. Not quite as snug as the ABS. And it didn't stink when I opened it. But I bought it locally and may have been in inventory for a while. The interior pieces fit is very good. It's also heavier than the ABS case.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ABS case. I'm concerned with maintaining proper humidity for my ukes. Here is the Northeast, the indoor humidity gets pretty low when the heat is running. I think the ABS case might seal tighter and not require me to refill the humidifiers as frequently. Being lighter is also positive.

I was told ABS cases are prone to cracking in temperature changes. I have no personal experience with them.

I don't care for the metal edges of the polymer cases. Too easy to hit those metal rimmed edges when putting a uke back into a case. Cloth-wrapped wood edges of the tweed case would be my choice of the two.

I don't care for the metal edges of the polymer cases. Too easy to hit those metal rimmed edges when putting a uke back into a case. Cloth-wrapped wood edges of the tweed case would be my choice of the two.

Good point. I'm kind of a clumsy oaf, so any reduced chance of whacking the ukulele with hard objects would be a good thing.

3. You have to be a little careful closing the top. The hinges don't quite guide it into place so you have to "square" it up to fit together correctly so the latches close completely. But the five latches ensures that they remain properly aligned and secure.

Yes, definitely. All of my Crossrocks require care when closing them, but I still like them. At least they don't "cheap-out" with the clasps. Mine have four or five. I don't know why they use that awkward ridged handle no their beautiful fiberglass cases.

OK, after going back and forth "ad infinitum", I finally pulled the trigger on the tweed-covered wooden case. Mostly just because I think it looks cool. :cool:

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

I'll let you know if I'm happy with my decision. I suspect it won't be a problem.

Top Bottom