Season 374 Now uke talkin'

This song was in my head at work today, cause I had heard it a week or so ago, so I did a quick one taker on it when I got home. Lots of folks recorded this, but Bobby Bare had the most famous version.

This is a track from Erasure’s first album Wonderland, released in 1986.

Thanks for hosting this week Trent. It's a very cool and original theme! I am bringing an original here, and I am very thrilled to have Sia Joo Hiang collaborating with me using original artwork that she created to make this video clip! The theme is a bit dark on the surface, but I did find the creative process very enlightening. Though the the first half of the composition is somewhat structured the spoken word and chorus parts were very improvisational ~

Hello again, Trent! I have absolutely no idea whether this works or not; I was inspired by one of a number of monologues I found on YT by a talented American actress, Nina Millin, entitled "The Beyoncelogues". It would appear that the narratives of Beyonce's songs lend themselves to monologue form. Well, anyway, this is an attempt at monologue plus ukulele ... erm!

A special tribute to the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. A friend of mine from my ukulele group shared a story about how he was in Paris as a youth in 1968. He also shared this song.

Not an entry, but I find this is also an appropriate video for this week's theme. Enjoy the video.

That was great, thanks for posting it here!

I guess the smart thing would to take a pop song with really trivial lyrics, like "baby, baby" or " Rah rah ooh-lala" and recite them.

But I didn't do that.

I hope this counts.
Leonard Cohen is almost talking through first half of the verses, and I attempt to be even more in talking mode.
Perhaps it is still singing. Well, I tried.

Season 374 - I Will Always Love You

Hi everyone! I came back for a second Season, hoping to make this a weekly habit! This one really challenged me, but here’s my rendition of Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You”. I am playing on a 6 string Kala tenor ukulele here (C and A strings are octaves).

Last edited:
This is a surprise for Alan DP. :)

I found this lovely spoken word piece from his channel late last year and made some cartoons for it,
but soon after that I took a break from YouTube and the Seasons and never made the cartoons into a video, until now.
This is called Ice Cream, written by Alan, read by him, with some lovely picking on his baritone uke as accompaniment.
To watch Alan's original please visit this link. https://youtu.be/f2_Jbiwlgo8

This is another song from 2018, by the band Superorganism. Robin requested the song earlier this week.

Here's a fun version Superorganism did at the NPR Tiny Desk, doing a lot of the sound effects from the original: Superorganism - The Prawn Song

Here is a slightly haphazard one taker of perhaps the greatest spoken word song ever.

I have no idea what happens to my already weird accent when I try and do stuff like this. Same thing happened during my ramblings on Money for Nothing.

Here's another quickie before I head off to work Trent & Ann Marie. Hope this one qualifies as whenever Cash delivers a ballad or a slowie, It always appears to me as speak/warble.

This is the 26th of a series of what we would call "audio portraiture" of some mental hospital patients who are featured in the December 2001-January 2002 issue of the Colors publication titled Madness.

Franco was 30 at the time of the interview. We use the words he said in the interview and made this video. It is a tragic story. Some of you might find it disturbing. Please don't watch it if you prefer to listen to something more light-hearted. We just made this video a few days ago and since it is a spoken piece I thought I would share it here. If you are interested in our series of songs/videos inspired by mental illness here is the complete playlist to date. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLClB1OHGm3eqHSvxV66Ru52ReeXWtMecb We are honoured to have Kevin working on this with us too.

jon - vocals, baritone ukuleles, keyboards, saw sound sample
joo - drawings, film edit

Banjo Patterson: A Bush Christening

My Nanna used to recite this from memory when I was a kid. I haven't ever heard it performed as a song, but the internet provided some chords, so I just kind of went with it.
It seems like the goal is to put up your first take, so I apologise for some stumbles over tongue-twistery bits (ol' Banjo was good at those!), and it's not as good as Nanna's recitations, but here we go - one and done!

When I was a kid, there was a popular sad song by "Russell" on the Estonian radio: A woman sang that she misses her man who planted a tree, surprised her with a puppy and died unexpectedly (but never wrecked the car!). And a man who had a very good voice, recited poems by Tagore in the beginning, in the middle and in the end of the song. Years later I learned that the song was originally "Honey" by Bobby Russell. For me, the 8-minute version with the poems is still the "right one". So here is my (somewhat shortened, 3:40) version of "Honey" in Estonian language:

I've got an easy one and a very very hard one in mind.

Union Forever was the easy one. This is the hard one.

Got a few more I'm hoping to have time for over the long weekend too. I'm gonna get weird though

Top Bottom