Season 374 Now uke talkin'

Recovering Bassist

Reaction score

Welcome to Season 374, "Now uke talkin', or as I'm calling it, the AlanDP nightmare Season! This week is about performing recitations, aka spoken word, type songs while being accompanied on the ukulele. You do not need to talk the entire song, though you can if you wish, but just a couple of lines of spoken word will suffice, you can sing the rest of it. It is "legal" to record your spoken word portion separately, but I am looking for folks to talk lyrics out as the same time they are playing ukulele, as talking and playing at the same time is it's own unique skill set, and can be quite challenging. Several artists, especially in the country field, were famous for doing recitations, such as Hank Williams, Porter Wagoner, Bill Anderson, Red Sovine, and others. Just reading poetry or literature while playing at the same time works well, about any song can be turned into a recitation. Since we have Seasonistas from all over the world participating here, spoken word in any language is acceptable, and encouraged!

Regular rules and times apply for this week. Original very welcome, other instruments welcome, long as ukulele is prominent. There is a 4 song limit.

I am doing a twist on the judging this week, as along with myself, my wife Ann Marie will be the judges. She is very much not a musician, but she does like recitations She's a wild card though, I have no idea who she will pick, and why. We are both going to select our top 4, place those 8 selections in a jar, and draw out a winner. So, if any of our top four selections are the same, that person(s) will have an increased chance of winning the drawing.

What is the prize you ask? Why it's this T shirt, the winner will be able to select what gender, size, and color they want.

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/3114641-ukulele-the-instrument-for-intelligent-people-t-sh

So, that's about it, have fun with it! I'm looking forward to how this will go. There is still plenty of time left to contribute songs to Keith's excellent single word titles Season. In the meantime, here's an example of a recitation I recorded.

Here's the Playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCHCDi7I1iI0exb7rM0gAFa1BsUSpCDy3

Last edited:
Golly gosh! Now THIS is a challenge!

Oh, Trent and Ann Marie ...

WONDERFUL IDEA!

I already have an entry in mind, but you can do this with almost any song, of course. IF you've got the chops to speak and sing and rub your stomach pat your head and ... something, something <trails off, mumbling>

I've got an easy one and a very very hard one in mind.

How far in before A Boy Named Sue? :D

Interesting challenge. I've tried spoken verses in songs a couple of times and totally failed each time.

Wow! I was listening to a "spoken" song on Thursday and thinking that could be a Season theme! And I'll probably do that song.

Hi Ann Marie - I think we have seen you before in one of Trent's vids - real fine intro vids from both you and Trent and a challenging season.
Thanks for hosting.

or When The Man Comes Around - Johnny would have quite a few i reckon......

I just recorded “when the man comes around “ before I read your comment here...anyway more than one version of a Johnny Cash is never a bad thing!

Oh man. Just the other day I heard a song I liked that qualifies for this season. Now to try and remember what song it was.

It must have been The Prawn Song... That was what I immediately thought of anyway ;)

I'll start with my kiddies song.
A Wiggles song called Wobbly Camel. A person who regularly comments on my vids has been asking for this song for ages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom