Season 374 Now uke talkin'

Thanks Trent and Mrs Bassist.Should be some fun things being rolled out.
I'm putting in a vote for BEVOMU to do Atlantis by the Don.
Here's a Johnny Cash.

I gotta get in early on this one, because it is so long. Sorry, folks! It is an R&B-style slow jam, and it is in the nature of those things to go six minutes or longer. If you can stick it out to the end, you have my applause. Otherwise, the spoken-word section comes before the half-time mark, so you can do your own editing!

Hello, Ann Marie and Trent ... thank you for this week's excellent "challenge". I bring you, er ... THIS!!! (I would hate anyone to take it personally ... I have never smoked in my life, but I do understand how difficult it is for a confirmed smoker to quit.) This song is ALL talking and can, in no way, be described as "music".

P.S. When I tried to post this at 12:00 I got a message
Post forbidden User Blacklisted. Wonder if anybody else got that?
Was it a glitch?[/QUOTE]

No, it was just you, Rob ... what HAVE you done?????

Here's one I wrote for Jon's Season where we had to do 1 minute songs. I was gonna re-record it, but I liked how this original take came out. kinda proud I was able to write this actually, since I am def not a songwriter, especially with all the legit ones around these parts.

Mike Oldfield's third album, Ommadawn, had this song at the end. Mostly talking...

Cheers for hosting this one Trent. I don't like to sit on a song too long as I'm waaaaaaaaay too Impatient and get bored so I think I just about managed to anchor this one down on the third take. Lou Reed.......

Great theme here Mr & Mrs Trent! Here’s an original for you both:

I wrote the words for this some time ago for my (then) partner, relatively early in a relationship that I hoped would be a lifelong one but which ultimately failed a few years back. Her reaction to my poem wasn’t quite what I’d hoped - “But it doesn’t even rhyme!”. It didn’t bode well!

So here are those words which I’ve set to a musical backing which I created yesterday. Hope you like it!

When I tried to post this at 12:00 I got a message
Was it a glitch?
i get this kind of problem now and again - some other UU-ers have mentioned it on other threads - i think basically the site tech peeps have to crank up the anti-spammer anti-hacker programmes, and the side effect of that is sometimes legit posts and posters get stopped, held up, and their mojos messed with. i was having problems in my hawkwind week, but eventually my posts would go through

I'm putting in a vote for BEVOMU to do Atlantis by the Don.
i am embarassed to say i never heard that before!!!!!!!! i have it playing now, and it does indeed sound just my kinda thing! thank you for opening my ears to it, i'll do some more listening to it to get the feel of it properly and try and give it a go! i really like that it has a spoken part and a sung part

“But it doesn’t even rhyme!”
oh no this is how bands and lovers break up!

speaking of which...

homemade relationship-lament for the season

P.S. When I tried to post this at 12:00 I got a message
Was it a glitch?

No, it was just you, Rob ... what HAVE you done?????[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I hinted that Dorothy Parker once she had one too many was anybodies game.

The thing I dislike the most about country music recitations is that they are extremely cheesy, overly-sentimental, and sappy. So I went straight for the most cheesy, overly-sentimental, and sappy one I knew of. I heard the Wink Martindale version of this one many, many times when I was a kid. My dad would always listen to a country music gospel radio show on the way to church every Sunday morning, and this one was played just about every time.

The true origins of this song are unknown, but it may have originated in 19th-century France. This English version was supposedly written by a guy who called himself T. Texas Tyler, whose real name was David Myrick. He recorded it first, had a hit with it, then Tex Ritter recorded it and had a much bigger hit with it. Then Wink Martindale--the game show host, who, at the time, was a relatively unknown DJ--recorded it and had a big hit with it. Much, much later, Bill Anderson recorded it and I guess he probably had a hit with it, too, but by then I wasn't listening to country music radio anymore.

Season 374. Submission 1. "Tell It Like It is" Written by George Davis and Lee Diamond (1966)

The song was originally released by Aaron Neville in 1966.

Thank you, Trent and Ann Marie, for hosting and Alan, for your contributions.

There are spoken words here - I promise. Wait for it, wait for it - stay with me. And check out the title of my song. Maybe that can count for something? ;)

Last edited:
The thing I dislike the most about country music recitations is that they are extremely cheesy, overly-sentimental, and sappy.

That's exactly what I like about them!! LOL!

In the original, Zevon shouted the orders from the supervisor, so I did the same.

Top Bottom