Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techniques for narrower fretboards

As regards altering the nut. I've noticed that the highest string appears slightly closer to the edge than the lowest string (but it's one of those things that changes the more you stare at it).

Not sure that I can be bothered taking it to a luthier to fix for the same of 1mm or so. I'm treating it as a good practising method and then finding my wider necked uke easier to play as a result.

One day, when I can afford a custom build, I'm going to specify all this very carefully. Getting that balance between string spacing and neck width… one of those good problems? Interestingly, of the Uke's I've tried, the (non-elite version) of my Kala baritone seems to have the perfect spacing for me. Anyone know how best to measure and specify this to a potential custom Uke builder?
    Last edited by Strumaround; 04-17-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strumaround View Post
    As regards altering the nut. I've noticed that the highest string appears slightly closer to the edge than the lowest string (but it's one of those things that changes the more you stare at it).

Not sure that I can be bothered taking it to a luthier to fix for the same of 1mm or so. I'm treating it as a good practising method and then finding my wider necked uke easier to play as a result.

One day, when I can afford a custom build, I'm going to specify all this very carefully. Getting that balance between string spacing and neck width… one of those good problems? Interestingly, of the Uke's I've tried, the (non-elite version) of my Kala baritone seems to have the perfect spacing for me. Anyone know how best to measure and specify this to a potential custom Uke builder?
    I am sure there are other, maybe better, ways to do this, but I'd take a photo of that Kala nut and then mail that to the builder, along with the measurement of the nut width.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I havenít had any problems with strings slipping off but did take a lot of care fitting the nut and slots centrally and the necks were 35 mm Wide. My supply of nuts has dried up so future ones Iíll have to make from bone blanks - a bit time consuming but do-able. If youíre reasonable at DIY why not give it a go?

@merlin 666. For the D chord I use three fingers but space them in a triangular formation (like G7 but all within one fret). 2225 with barre also gives a D.
    I was more thinking it might not solve the original poster's issue, but yeah, I'll probably do it at some point. I'll get a professional to do it though as it's a little beyond my DYI skillset. The two ukes have 34mm and 36mm nuts, but they both have string spacing in the 27mm range (outside to outside of strings) and I'd rather have something like 29-30 mm
    Glenn

sopranino/sopranos/baritone/ubass

Thread Information