Jazz Etudes on YouTube

Maguwa

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have started a YouTube channel that is dedicated to ukulele jazz. :cool:

https://youtu.be/AL0ORjLlw5U

I have posted some etudes for the songs "Mack the Knife" and most recently "Fly Me to the Moon." Also, I have dabbled with some videos that focus a bit more on theory and technique.

My content will be mostly centered on jazz improvisation, but I will also get into comping and playing tunes.

I am still quiet green when it comes to the YouTube / video stuff, but I hope I can help people out there who are wanting to get into improvising music.

Please check out my channel and give some constructive feedback. I am interested in what you all would like to learn as well as how I can make better videos. I hope to build a positive learning environment where we can all share ideas without all the noise that usually goes along with comment sections on YouTube. :)

Thanks!

Joey

Please explain what you are up to in terms of the notes you have chosen with regards to the chords. What is the logic? Are they simply random chord tones or are you focusing on certain degrees of the chords, i.e., the 7, the 9, or more basically the 1, 3, 5, or 7. That will help a viewer to understand what’s going on.

I like that it is slow and that you have standard notation which I read. I like it that you have chosen a well known standard but I think you need to explain a bit.

Good stuff. Do you have pdf files of the charts available?

Kimosabe thank you for the feedback!

Please explain what you are up to in terms of the notes you have chosen with regards to the chords. What is the logic?
I definitely plan to dive into this more in the future. At the moment I want to keep writing and recording etudes mainly, with the focus on giving people something they can practice along with. I find that for many (most?) people, too much talking about music theory is a bitter pill to swallow, at least initially. I am making "peanut butter" now, then as more interest arises I will mix in some theory.

I am also thinking about making some of the etudes without TAB, as I think it is important for people to be able to read standard notation, but that pill is really bitter! :p

-Joey

EDW, thank you for the kind words!

At the moment I don't have any PDFs, but later on down the road I would like to make them available for a reasonable price. I need to work out the details on setting up a web shop, or some kind of low-hassle way to distribute sheet music... But, I will always include the music in the videos.

-Joey

Learning to read single line standard notation, single notes not chords, is actually quite easy. Buy Curt Shellar’s Reading Primer, cheap, do,the exercises and you’ll have it down in a couple weeks and practice makes you faster and faster. I did it years ago and have enjoyed reading ever since. His Primer is for high G but it’s easy to learn the remaining notes on the low G.

Currently I’ve almost mastered all 88 notes on the piano. There are great courses out there that are inexpensive, tried and true. Learning to read on the uke will take you a few weeks or less, a half an hour a day, then you can easily play your way through the Daily Uke or any Hal Leonard jazz chart.

I am starting a new series on how to play 2-5-1 jazz lines on the ukulele. The first few videos will be in the key of Bb Major, a good key to know if you want to play at jam sessions.

Check out my latest video and have a look at my channel. More videos in this series are coming shortly.

https://youtu.be/6rMrOezP13Y

Thanks!

Joey

Cheers! The 2nd video in the series is out now. I am hoping these videos will be an effective way for people to practice reading notation as well as learn some lines to play over ii-V-I progressions. :D

Top Bottom