Hive Ukulele

You can learn on any uke that stays in tune.. the likelihood that you will put in more time can increase if you love the sound of the uke.. there is always an unpleasantness when starting to go through the grind of learning new skills, owning a uke you have an emotional attachment to will increase the joy..
Also I like what is said here

I agree with this completely. There’s something about owning something that’s better than I am that makes me want to work at it, and when it comes down to it, most people can afford an expensive custom if they just plan for it.

A Hive, for example, is $3,600, very reasonable for a top tier custom. There are no extras needed. The $3,600 price point will get you one of the best sounding and smoothest playing ukes on the planet. The tough part is the $1,000 deposit. Once you’ve got that taken care of, though, it’s $100 a month set aside for 26 months, which is around his current wait time. $100 a month isn’t easy for everyone but doable for most if you’re willing to budget.

Plus, you know there are only 26...15...7...2 months left before it arrives, which should push you even harder to improve your playing, so you can enjoy your new masterpiece to the fullest.

All that said, you don’t need to spend $3,600 to get that feeling. Just using Hive as an example due to the title of the thread.

That’s just my 2 cents.

One last thing for the OP, sell whatever you need to. It’ll be worth it.

The tough part would be making sure I stay alive for two years. I have Amazon Prime because I don't like to wait. :D

have you checked with Jake he usually sends about 4 ukes to Andrew at HMS each year

have you checked with Jake he usually sends about 4 ukes to Andrew at HMS each year

I'm in de-acquiring mode right now., but thanks for the suggestion. I used to look at all the selling sites every day. Now I don't. Unfortunately, two people mentioned two particular ukes here, and I felt compelled to buy them. No sales resistance!

I was at a uke fest yesterday, and someone pointed out a nice-looking uke. I tracked down the owner during a break, and she said it was a Hive. She handed it to me and walked away. It was definitely a beauty, and it sounded great. Getting back to my seat, I used Google to learn that the builder takes a $1,000 deposit, and you wait while be builds it. The base price is $3,600. The one I played was the Hornet.

https://www.hiveukuleles.com/models

The question now is what can I sell to raise that amount, plus the cost of the extras? :D

Maybe you can keep your ukes and sell your truck....

I've owned three Hive Hornets, including the one below that I still own (and will never sell) which was a special treat for myself after enduring three years of underemployment.

As I have said in many posts, for me there is a very small handful of luthiers who consistently deliver outstanding results across tone, playability, aesthetics and build execution. For me, Jake is in this special elite group.

You cannot go wrong with a Hive. Come join the Bee Hive!!!

Wow, Eddie, that's some serious eye candy!

I want the best uke I can afford. I believe I deserve it. I may stretch my budget, give up something else, but I'd never go in debt for an ukulele.

There is no doubt that it is a great leap of faith to commit to a $3000+ Uke, not to mention the required patience for delayed gratification, but it is always worth it.

When people notice the Ukes I play and come over to talk about them, most are shocked when I tell them the cost. Then I let them play the instrument and you can see the epiphany on their faces when they realise just what it means, and what it costs to own a fine musical instrument. Oddly some people get angry at me for owning an expensive ukulele (I have never understood why). I wonder if they would feel that way if I had a fine violin or guitar?

I always advise people to purchase the best instrument that they can afford which might mean putting off a purchase so they can save to reach that goal.

Last edited:
I found that when I first started playing the thought of paying more than $350 for a ukulele was abhorrent. I couldn't imagine paying more.

Then it was $500. Because I tried a nice Pono.
Then it was $1000. $2000.
I will have to become a MUCH better player to justify $3000+. But then, I couldn't justify the other purchases either. :confused:

The higher priced ukuleles are, for me, easier to play, and have a more nuanced sound. I can't take full advantage of that capability. But give me a year...

I found that when I first started playing the thought of paying more than $350 for a ukulele was abhorrent. I couldn't imagine paying more.

Then it was $500. Because I tried a nice Pono.
Then it was $1000. $2000.
I will have to become a MUCH better player to justify $3000+. But then, I couldn't justify the other purchases either. :confused:

The higher priced ukuleles are, for me, easier to play, and have a more nuanced sound. I can't take full advantage of that capability. But give me a year...

I agree with you Ken as I have gone up the incremental price scale as well. Your comfort level adapts.

I don't believe anyone has to justify, deserve or earn the right with a certain skill level to own an expensive uke. Lots of people own Porsche, Corvettes, Ferraris etc. that can't take advantage of those cars capabilities. If you can afford it, if it gives you joy and if it causes you to play more often then it is a wise purchase. Do you need an expensive instrument to make music, no Do you need a Porsche to drive to work no. But both are a whole lotta fun to operate.

Until someone holds and plays an upper level instrument (might be anything over $1000) they don't get it. Drink $7.00 wine all the time you think it is good. Drink $20 wine then you understand.

Last edited:
UAS Management Software is a technique that helps ukulele players to be more effective, more efficient, and more capable of adopting ukuleles in their UAS according to the ever-changing ukulele environment.

Corrected for u!

I agree with you Ken as I have gone up the incremental price scale as well. Your comfort level adapts.

I don't believe anyone has to justify, deserve or earn the right with a certain skill level to own an expensive uke. Lots of people own Porsche, Corvettes, Ferraris etc. that can't take advantage of those cars capabilities. If you can afford it, if it gives you joy and if it causes you to play more often then it is a wise purchase. Do you need an expensive instrument to make music, no Do you need a Porsche to drive to work no. But both are a whole lotta fun to operate.

Until someone holds and plays an upper level instrument (might be anything over $1000) they don't get it. Drink $7.00 wine all the time you think it is good. Drink $20 wine then you understand.

I agree 100%. I've heard so many people say they won't buy a good uke because they don't play well enough. If I thought that way, I still have just one uke - the $20 no-name soprano I bought in Hawaii years ago.

It gives something to aspire to as well: Make it sing like we know it can.

That being said. I still play my Ohana & Pono tenors quite frequently. I can have as much fun with them, sometimes more, as I do with my Kinnard or Kanile'a.

And I know some players that can make their Kala sing like I will never get my Kamaka to.

It gives something to aspire to as well: Make it sing like we know it can.

That being said. I still play my Ohana & Pono tenors quite frequently. I can have as much fun with them, sometimes more, as I do with my Kinnard or Kanile'a.

And I know some players that can make their Kala sing like I will never get my Kamaka to.

So true Ken. I know some that can make their "Sponge Bob Square Pants" sing better then I will ever get my LfdM to as well:p

Top Bottom