Making a bridge on the CNC

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I shot some video of the machining processes on my CNC yesterday of making a bridge. 6 different operations over about 7 minutes total to make a bridge that by hand I wouldn't really have a clue how to do without more jigs and hand work than would ever be practiacal.

That's cheating:) The one thing that keeps me from going down that path is I do not want to learn the CAD Software. It seems daunting

With three setups on the lathe, and drilling and milling machine...and router with templates I could turn out 50 plus of those in a day. CNC is great for prototyping but Not quantity...but the fiirst one with CNC is the sample to go with cos it would the most accurate.

Last edited:
With three setups on the lathe, and drilling and milling machine...and router with templates I could turn out 50 plus of those in a day. CNC is great for prototyping but Not quantity...but the fiirst one with CNC is the sample to go with cos it would the most accurate.

Tim, my bridges have some complex 3D surfaces and ya kes my machine 4 minutes tops to cut it. I’d say CNC is accurate and definitely made for repetitive and high volume settings.

Very cool! What CAD program do you use? I noticed most took paths started with a lead in entry rather than plunging. Any reason why?

Fusion 360.

No reason other than those tool paths work. They can be far more aggressive especiall the clearing of the string platform. But that will take some trials to work out how much I can push it.

Fusion 360.

No reason other than those tool paths work. They can be far more aggressive especiall the clearing of the string platform. But that will take some trials to work out how much I can push it.

Cool! I’ll look into fusion. Never heard of it!

Top Bottom